Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-17-2010, 09:37 PM   #1 
Drowzy

Hello

Hello my callsign is Drowzy. I am going to get some beta fish soon so I came looking for help. So far this website has been very helpfull and I am gratefull for it. But I still have a couple questions.
1. I am going to get One betta so all my questions reffer to the minimum for One betta.
2. Is a traditional Gold fish bowl a good beginner cage as I don't want to spend a ton of money on a cage.
3. What brand of food do you recommend?
4. Is a company like petsmart a good place to but my first beta
5. Is there a certain toy that seems to entertain your betas. I don't like getting board as I get aggrivated when I am board so I don't want my beta to experience the same thing as me.
6. What is the general guide to buying a healthy betta. As I have has many short lived pets before :(
Drowzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I would recommend a 2 gallon tank or larder. Hikari betta bio gold, Wardleys and Aqueon pellets are good brands of pellets for your betta. You can also feed your betta frozen or freeze dried bloodworms, daphnia or brine shrimp. I've bought all my bettas at Petsmart and haven't had any problems. I have a betta floating log that one of mine seems to enjoy swimming in and out of. I would look for a betta that is swimming around, is alert and has a bubblenest in his cup. I hope this helps.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:40 PM   #3 
Drowzy

Why thank you. I am hopefully getting one tommorow so this is a big help. BTW Do bettas ever come in green or orange those are meh fav colors.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #4 
TigerLily

Welcome to the forums.

I agree that two gallons or larger would be the best size to look for. You can find two gallon bowls and kritter-keepers for an affordable price. The kritter keepers are extra nice because they have a secure lid to prevent jumping.

I feed my bettas using either Hikari or Wardley's pellets with blood worms as a treat once a week. I fast my fish every Sunday.

Petsmart should be fine.

Bettas love having caves and plants to explore. You can hold up a mirrir every now and then to get him to flare. You can also float a ping pong ball for him to "play" with.

When you choose your betta, look for a fish that is alert and swimming well. The eyes should be clear and the body should be smooth and free of any damage.

Edit: I have seen them in orange before. They're very pretty!
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, they come in green and orange. I have an orange one but he's not a really pretty orange. Don't tell him I said that! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:54 AM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Lol DQ! Green can be very hard to find, but I've seen a lot of orange ones. I usually have a color mapped out before I go and I come home with the exact opposite.haha So I just go and get the one that "speaks" to me. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #7 
Drowzy

Cool thats good because I'm probably getting one like Really really soon :)
Old 04-18-2010, 10:45 AM   #8 
BeautifulBettaFish

Hi & Welcome :)
i have a orange betta fish nammed " Marmalade"& i keep him in a fish bowl cause its less hassle than a fish tank ...
Attached Images

BeautifulBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #9 
javi

I would think that a bowl would be more of a hassle, as ya cannot heat it properly and there is no filter to help keep the water nice. Walmart has a 5 gallon kit for only $29.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:52 PM   #10 
Drowzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by javi View Post
I would think that a bowl would be more of a hassle, as ya cannot heat it properly and there is no filter to help keep the water nice. Walmart has a 5 gallon kit for only $29.
Thanks javi thats really really helpfull.