Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #1 
DarthMaul
Banned

Question got a 20 gal! need help!

so a neighbor of mine was throwing away a perfectly good 20 gal tank, so course i took it haha anyways... it will be divided 3 ways for my bettas and of course will have a filter. But i want to know how often it will need 100% water changes. B/c if its every week, i am not setting it up. That is just simply to much work and water haha. Also, would i REALLY need to do 50% changes once a week? b/c, that also seems like a lot of work and water haha. So i am exploring the options before i even make this setup
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #2 
TeenyTinyTofu

50% once a week, 100% every 2 weeks, is my schedule for Tofu, who is by himself in a 5 gallon. If you have 3 in a 20 gallon, I'd stick to a similar schedule.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #3 
DarthMaul
Banned

but it will be filtered and i have a siphon. 100% is A LOT of work and A LOT of water. if that is case, i am not doing this setup. B/c that really is a lot of water, changing half every week and 100% every 2 weeks. Boo, well i can just sell the tank to someone
Old 04-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #4 
TeenyTinyTofu

Wait to get opinions from others before you decide not to use it. Others may have been able to go longer with no problems. I just haven't tried going longer with Tofu's tank, that's the schedule I've had since I got him (his tank is filtered too).
Old 04-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #5 
DarthMaul
Banned

i mean i know fresh water is good, but what is the point if i still have to do 100% water changes the same amount of the times i would do with a 2.5 gal or even a 5? haha makes no sense and i am not going to set up a 20gal if i have to STILL do frequent 100% changes even if it is filtered.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #6 
Noko

I wouldn't ever do a 100% unless it's super dirty, or there is a disease going through it.

With my 20 gallon tank I end up doing a 10%-20% water change every week. I have platys in my 20 gallon tank, so with three bettas I would go with a 10% water change every week, and remember to vacuum every few weeks. This is just the way I would do it. I am not the all knowing water change god XD You just need to find what is good for you, and how much the ammonia builds up.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #7 
DarthMaul
Banned

ya that sounds more reasonable haha
Old 04-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #8 
soleilvie

No way would you need to do 100% water changes every week. That's crazy! It will eventually cycle, so you won't have a ton of ammonia building up in the water, therefore 100% water changes will be unnecessary. ~20% water changes every week should be fine. Just use a gravel vac to stir up the gravel and remove any waste.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #9 
doggyhog

Cycle it, then do 10-20% changes once a week. You might even be able to get away with a water change every other week.

Good luck.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:51 PM   #10 
TeenyTinyTofu

Really?

See, I learn something new everyday too. So, I'm assuming I can begin to cut back on Tofu's 100% water changes... I'm very happy to hear that, LOL.