Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #1 
finny

Help my fish is dying!!!! :'(

Hello everyone! I come to you all for some help my Betta Fish Finny has been staying at the bottom of his bowl and only coming up for air every now and then. He is not eating any food. This has been going on for about a week now. Today I noticed his tail is breaking off into small pieces. Everything I read points to him dying. Is there any way this could be just a bad case of fin rot?

His bowl is clean and I have tried pallets, flakes even blood worms but he will not eat. It looks like he is in pain and can hardly swim.

Thanks for your help!
finny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Can you post a picture?

What's the temperature of the water? How often do you change it? Do you use a good water conditioner? Do you have any Aquarium salt or Epsom salt handy?
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

As asked...we need some more information to help you...also..
What size of tank, filtration if any, how much and how often on the water changes and when was the last one,
Do you have any water pram numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and water temp?
Type of additives used if any...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:04 PM   #4 
finny

His water was last cleaned last Monday. I am not sure what the pH is but the water is rather cool. I would have to find out about the pram numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrat etc. I use Betta Safe for the water conditioner and I change it about once a week using filtered water. I did buy the Aquarium salt and Betta Fix. Which I have not put in his 1 gallon tank yet. I am sorry my pic is not better. The pic is of him coming up for air but I could not get his fins. Hope this helps sorry I could not answer everything but I've had Finny since 2007 and he has been taken care of very well. He even traveled in from San Diego to Los Angeles with me by car.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #5 
finny

Sorry the pix did not work the first time.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #6 
ecoprincess

When i had a 1/2gal tank the same-ish thing happened to my betta.

I kept a bottle (1gal) of conditioned water by his tank (24hrs) so it would get to the same temp as the water in his tank.....then mix the proper amount of aquarium salts in the bottle so its completely diluted.

Use that water for his water change......you should see an difference with the salts within hours....with my betta they really do work wonders!

Good luck! Dont give up......but dont waste time treating him with the salts....do it asap
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:50 PM   #7 
finny

Thanks I just did the salt and Betta Fix. I also removed some water so he has less of a swim for air and cleaned his bowl. But I noticed that his gulls look flared. These are awful pics. Thanks again.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #8 
vaygirl

In a one gallon, once a week is not enough water changes. You should be changing his water every other day or every three days. Just fill up an empty gallon bottle with conditioned water when you're done changing his water and leave it out for the next change. That makes things easier. Your best bet is salt and clean, clean water.

Warmth would help too but I don't know what your situation is money-wise. They really need temps above 78. Most of mine live at 82. But you'd probably need a bigger container if you got him a heater. When they're cold they're more prone to illness and they have slower metabolisms.

How long have you had him?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #9 
finny

I've had him since 2007 and he has been doing great. He use to be my office fish until I had to move to LA. He has been doing great at home. I do keep a gallon bottle with conditioned water. I have done more water changes when needed but he has seemed to be doing just great. Everyone tells me 3 years is a long time to have a Betta. Could this be that he is just getting old? He is still not eating any food. I have been removing all old food. It just so painful to watch. I have changed the water which I noticed is a little warmer. I also put salt and Betta Fix in his bowl.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #10 
vaygirl

Yeah, it could certainly be that he's getting old. Keep him in the warmest room in the house and continue what you're doing with the water and the salt. It may help.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dying, fin, rot, sad, sick