Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #1 
Inaras Mommy

Pot-belly Betta

Well my Betta looks like he's pg for the past few days. I couldn't figure out why till I caught DH feeding him extra and a lot. I explained that he doesn't need to eat 3 x's a day and he doesn't need a lot when u do feed him. What can I do to fix this... Maybe cut back his feeding w/ exercise? Plz reply, I don't want him to die from being unhealthy.
Inaras Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #2 
kikuhoshi

He's constipated. Just fast him until it goes away, and then clean out his poo (depending on the size tank you have; I have a 1.5 at the moment, so I try to clean it out ASAP; others can give you advice for other sizes). It's really nothing to worry about.

What is the average temp. for his tank? Do you use a heater? I find that when I have Armand at about 80F, it helps his constipation. Also, have a talk with your husband about the feeding schedule of the fish. I had a friend who ALWAYS fed Armand whenever she saw him (which was about 2x a day), without my knowing, and I couldn't figure out why he kept bloating until I caught her. We got into an argument (she had a poorly-kept betta, I'm sad to say, and was stubborn about the way she treated it), but she stopped messing up Armand's feeding after that.
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #3 
Inaras Mommy

I just changed his water 2 days ago, how often should I change it till he regulates? And should I continue exercising him w/ the mirror? How long should take to get him back to his old self? ATM he is in a 1/2 gal tank, but we have come to the agreement that I'm going to get an aquarium top for our 10 gal instead of the oven thermometer I've been needing. BTW, what would be a safe product to use to disinfect my 10 gal for him, as it used to be home to a leopard gecko? I don't want him getting sick as he died a few months back, of old age.

Last edited by Inaras Mommy; 04-18-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #4 
Inaras Mommy

As far as the feeding, we had a 'nice' conversation about that as he was doing the same thing cause he 'acted like he was hungry all the time'. Poor thing, can they die from being overfed? Stupid question I know, but I figure it's best to ask, rather than be ignorant.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #5 
kikuhoshi

Okay, I can help with a 1/2 gal (I have Armand in one at school, but I go home every 4 days). Honestly, I'd change him every day/every 2 days period, even healthy.

As for disinfectant... I'm not sure. I've heard a drop of bleach in a gal/gal& is a good thing, but I never had to disinfect. I just put water in a my tank, then let it stand over night (rinse&repeat for a week), and that was it. I'd google it, but I found this on this site: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=17069

Let me know how the 10gal goes - I'm thinking about getting one for Armand. :)

I don't know, honestly. I think it's a possibility (their stomachs are the size of their eyes), but I don't know. And yeah, they're little pigs, haha. I had to stop my boyfriend from feeding Armand because "he's starving, look at him dance!". It wasn't his feeding time yet, but my boyfriend's a fricking bleeding heart, of *course* the fish is "starving".

Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-18-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:54 AM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

If you keep overfeeding him, it'll cause internal problems because all of the vital organs are near each other so it'd be putting stress on all of them. How much are you feeding each time? I feed mine 2-3 pellets twice a day so 4-5 pellets a day. Their stomachs are the size of their eye so it's VERY small. Some bettas will bloat even if you're feeding them the correct amount. When the pellet is dry, it'll expand in the bettas stomach and cause them to bloat. You can cut down on this by soaking the pellets before you feed them. I'd say for about 10-15 minutes, but you can do it for longer if you wanted. Just keep experimenting with things until you see good results.

I love how the directions for the pellets I use says, "feed as much as the fish will consume in a couple minutes". If I did that, my fish would eat the WHOLE thing.haha They will always "act" hungry to get more food, but it's not good for them. It's like a little child begging to have candy; they want it really badly, but it isn't good for them. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #7 
kikuhoshi

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
I love how the directions for the pellets I use says, "feed as much as the fish will consume in a couple minutes". If I did that, my fish would eat the WHOLE thing.haha They will always "act" hungry to get more food, but it's not good for them. It's like a little child begging to have candy; they want it really badly, but it isn't good for them. :)
Well, if the fish dies due to overfeeding, and we don't know that it's wrong, we'll go buy another fish, we have to buy more food and... Rinse&Repeat.

Eh, I like to think they mean well, but are terribly misguided.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Oh and I forgot to mention, you can use bleach and water or vinegar and water. I'm not sure what the ratio is, but I'm pretty sure you use more water for both to dilute it. And scrub with hot water like crazy. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #9 
Mister Sparkle

Make sure that 10G is sealed for water before you fill it up! Reptile terrariums are not built to serve as fish habitats!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #10 
Kittles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Sparkle View Post
Make sure that 10G is sealed for water before you fill it up! Reptile terrariums are not built to serve as fish habitats!
This. I've heard people say that the glass used for reptile terrariums is thinner and that they can bow when filled with water. Or maybe that's just a sealant issue, I don't know. Or maybe it doesn't happen at all.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote