Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #1 
honeyfish

So, water temperature...

I was just wondering, is it going to hurt my fish if the water is too hot? I know it's bad for it to be too cold, I just wanted to know about if it is too hot. I changed the water today (100%), and I guess when I was pouring it from the tap I made it too hot. It's at 86F right now. I don't want to put my fishie back in for fear that it's too hot and will hurt him. He's sitting in his cup, staring at his tank, wondering why he can't go in (he keeps looking at me with those sad fish eyes, begging me to take him out of the tiny cup). His tank has been at 80-82F consistently in the past. I'm just afraid that I'm going to hurt him if I put him in the 86F water right now. So I'm hoping that the temp will go down soon (I have to be at work in an hour...) so I can put him in the tank and not make him suffer in that tiny cup anymore. He's sniffing the bottom of the cup, as if he's looking for a way to escape...
honeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #2 
xxabc

I won't say "they get hurt"...they don't exactly "get hurt" in cold water either. It's just they don't work in cold water, immune system lowers, etc.

I think in your situation right now, a problem would be the sudden change in temperature (stress) unless you acclimate him. But even then, 86F is still too high. There are still consequences with too-hot water, although they're just different from too-cold (but I don't know what the consequences for that are).
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #3 
Sandinmygum

my 1st post :o

I'd get the water back to the temp he has been living in.
I can suggest (if you still are at home and not at work) is to take cups of water out, and put cups of cold water in..stir..and see how much the temp drops. Not sure you fish bowl/tank size, but it shouldn't take too long to just stir in some colder water to bring the water back to the 80-82f he is use to.
Sandinmygum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #4 
honeyfish

Adding cold water sounds like a good idea. The only problem is, I just used the last of my water conditioner for the 5 gallons that I needed for the water change! Agh! The temp is dropping, but not fast enough for me to be able to put him in before I have to leave for work (which is in a couple minutes here..), so I guess I'm going to leave him in the tiny cup while I'm at work? The temp should drop by the time I get home, I'm just hoping that he doesn't freak out in the cup and tear his fins apart. =/
Old 04-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #5 
Sandinmygum

if you can..maybe move him into a large bowl? Just so he isn't in a tiny cup.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #6 
xxabc

I think the problem would be - where would she get the water? No conditioner to remove the chlorine.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #7 
Narnian

Why not just put some ice cubes in a container or bag and soak in the tank for a little while? (it's probably too late now)

Honestly, he won't die in the cup for a few hours. I think it's better then 86 degree water, personally.
Narnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #8 
Sandinmygum

oi. Ice cubes in plastic bag would work probably faster.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:11 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think the ice cubes in a plastic bag would work.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #10 
honeyfish

Ahh! That sounds good. Ice cubes in a plastic bag. I went to work and came back, and left him in the teeny cup (he's so mad at me now). I covered the cup, because I figured that would maybe at least calm him down and he would chill for a while and then not think about eating his fins (since he likes to do that, apparently). When I came home and uncovered him, he was literally just floating there, chilled out. Then he realized that he could see and I was there and he looked at me like, "Do I get to go in my home now and not be stuck in this teeny tiny crappy little cup? Please pleasepleasepleaseplease!?!?!" But the water is only at 83; I'm thinking it's because it's mildly warm in here, and that is probably room temp right now. Is that too high a temp to put him in? If it is, I don't know what I will do, since it is only the beginning of summer and it hasn't even gotten hot yet (it's only been 80F-ish lately, very chill for Florida right now). =/