Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #1 
brancasterr

Planning on a do it yourselfer...

I'm going to put ADF's in my new tank with the other fish. I've read that they are master escape artists and that I should cover any holes so they don't escape. So I plan on putting a screen barrier on the lid. (most likely glued to the bottom of my lid, so when I put the top on the screen is in-between the water and the lights)

My question is, if I do this is it safe to let the water running through the filter run through the screen, seeing as the screen will be beneath the filter. Or should I cut a hole for the water to flow through? I feel that even if I do do this, the water will still hit the screen. I don't want to contaminate the water. Also, the lights won't do anything to the screen will it?

Thanks!
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #2 
brancasterr

I should add that I'm going to use the same type of screen used in windows or on covered patios.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #3 
brancasterr

Any insight?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:56 PM   #4 
Hadouken441

I have yet to see a ADF escape. TBH i think its overkill to worry about it. If your frog leaves your tank its because it HATES its tank due to water conditions or predation.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #5 
brancasterr

It's just that everywhere I read it is stressed that every opening should be covered. I guess maybe I shouldn't worry about it, then?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:18 AM   #6 
Tinthalas Tigris

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancasterr View Post
It's just that everywhere I read it is stressed that every opening should be covered. I guess maybe I shouldn't worry about it, then?
link plz?
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:16 AM   #7 
Hadouken441

I wouldnt worry. I have no idea how they could leave. I had an open top and my 2 frogs never left. Maybe because they loved their home hehe. Only way I can see them leaving is if your water level is at the very very top of your tank then they might. And that whole leaving tank thing is probably one person saying that then everyone picks up on it.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:30 PM   #8 
brancasterr

Tinthalas Tigris, this one hints at keeping all holes covered
http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/mypets/dwarfs.html
as does this one
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/am...arf-frogs.html

Hadouken441, there is a large hole in my lid where the filter is allowed to fit. I'm worried they'll crawl out through there. Even the ones at the pet store were climbing up the wall behind their aquarium.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #9 
Kittles

But wouldn't the outpour of the filter be enough to dissuade them from trying an escape in that vicinity? I wouldn't think the screen is necessary, but that's just a personal opinion from someone with no experience with these animals.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote