Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2014, 08:52 PM   #1 
Pogthefish

How to get my dog to eat?

I got a cockapoo puppy in January. They say she was born November 21, but she seemed too young to me. I thought once she was older she would eat better, but she still only eats at most one can (1 portion) of wet food. It's not that she gets distracted by the other dogs, I started putting her in her crate to eat 3 days ago.

The first day she ate it all with no problems, but the second day she ate half of it then stopped and sat there for ~15 minutes. I tried to get her to eat more, but she took a bite, then got visibly frustrated (crying, pawing at the bowl/blanket) so I let her out.

The third day was perfect, she ate instantly, but today she ate half of it then cried and refused to eat anymore (but she looked like she was trying when I offered her another piece).

The only other time I locked her up to eat was when I would shower in the morning, I would keep her + her food in the bathroom. At first it worked great, but after awhile she would start ignoring her food, and when I just leave it out for her, she ignores it and the big dogs eat it. Now she's started getting smart and actually leading them to it.

Anyone else ever had this problem? I'm starting to get worried that she's not growing out of it.
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:54 PM   #2 
Fenghuang

This is probably an obvious question, but have you consulted a vet about your concerns? I never had a dog, but a long term lack of appetite in any pet would raise a serious red flag for me.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:58 PM   #3 
Tolak

What brand of canned are you feeding? Make sure there's no possibility of people feeding her on the sly, kids are great for that, some adults can't get with the program in that respect. I've dealt with this with newcomers, let the others eat the food as long as nobody else is feeding her. She'll grow out of it in a few days.
Tolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #4 
Pogthefish

I've tried multiple different brands of dog food. Caesar is what I've been using most, though. The vet just said try keeping her away from the big dogs in a non-distracting environment, and try to leave food out where the big dogs can't get it, which wouldn't be a problem, but we have cats. I doubt it's something she'll grow out of since she's 7 months old now.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:30 PM   #5 
Tolak

Bad; Dog Food Reviews - 1 Star Canned Dog Food - Powered by ReviewPost

Good; Dog Food Reviews - 6 Star Premium Canned Food - Powered by ReviewPost

7 months old is still a pup. As long as the vet doesn't see any sort of medical condition the dog won't starve, and very few vets are qualified as nutritionists. By day 3 the dog will eat, especially if she sees the others eating her food if she leaves it. I had a 10 year old foster who wouldn't eat the kibble we buy for 3 days, the 2 younger guys would eat hers after theirs. By the 3rd day she was eating, all good after that. I rotate between Wellness Core, Taste Of The Wild & Orijen, all high quality grain free foods.

Watch people sneaking her food, I've got my 19 month old grandson living with us, he's figured out dogs like to eat, they've figured him out as a food source. My one terrier sits at about 17 pounds, he's pretty self limiting with food. The other guy has put on a couple pounds, and is by no means self limiting, so it's less kibble & more exercise. I sell fish food & supplies on the side, pretty well versed in animal nutrition, and have been doing smaller terriers for a lot longer than fish. Go with as high a quality food as possible for a dog like that, you'll have more complete nutrition, and she is more likely to eat it. A healthy dog might be a bit picky, but they won't starve themselves.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #6 
Pogthefish

People giver small scraps occasionally, but nothing that would fill her up. She just lets the others eat her food. Even that cat, who is extremely skittish and wouldn't put up a fight, eats her food. I'll try rotating brands but I don't want to give her digestive problems. I guess a high-quality food won't be too expensive since she'll eat it pretty slowly.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:07 PM   #7 
CoyDahlia

Is she underweight, or are there any other concerns that she's not getting enough to eat? Some dogs just don't need as much food as other. I would offer her food in her crate, leave her in there for 15 minutes, then let her out. Whatever she doesn't eat gets added to her next meal or tossed.
CoyDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #8 
charliegill110

we are going through the exact same thing with my dog, who mostly eats caesar as well. hes been to the vet but its been determined that hes going on hunger strikes to get human food. to fix this i take about half of a tablespoon of whatever meat my family is eating for dinner and i mix it in my dogs food very very well and 90% of the time he eats it instantly. when he doesn't eat it we just leave it out and don't give him any human food and the bowl we put out disappears through the day.
charliegill110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #9 
Pogthefish

She's been better since I got her some new flavors. I got her 2 new flavors of caesar, and some beneful for when she stops eating that. Anyone know any good/nutritious brands?
I feel like this is more than not being interested in food, though. She's not trying to get human food because she doesn't eat it either. Plus, she really was frustrated that one day.
@coydahlia, I do take her out after awhile, but whatever she doesn't eat gets tossed, otherwise the big dogs will get it, and they've started getting visibly fatter since we got her.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #10 
Tolak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogthefish View Post
She's been better since I got her some new flavors. I got her 2 new flavors of caesar, and some beneful for when she stops eating that. Anyone know any good/nutritious brands?
I feel like this is more than not being interested in food, though. She's not trying to get human food because she doesn't eat it either. Plus, she really was frustrated that one day.
@coydahlia, I do take her out after awhile, but whatever she doesn't eat gets tossed, otherwise the big dogs will get it, and they've started getting visibly fatter since we got her.

Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

I wouldn't feed either one of those to my dogs.