Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2011, 12:15 AM   #1 
PewPewPew

Question Branching question?

Hey breeders. I figure you guys can help me out with this better than anyone ;)

I just got a new boy, marked an HM. He's really young, and I cant get him to sit still worth beans. It's hard to get him past a lazy flare.

Ive read you can tell the tail type based on branching/rays in the fins. Is this true? Would I be able to tell based on that what tail type he is? Id also love to know just for future reference.

I edited it to make the rays easier to see:

Any thoughts? And no, this isnt a flare. He's also super young and small, so he may have more growin' to do, hehe <3
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Name:  Ray branching 2.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  20.7 KB
The rays show that he is from a HM spawn. But he has rather poor form (viewed from a show quality stand point). If he is very young, some rays show possible 8 end ray development (if his fin can still grow)

HM, HMPK, may only have 4 end rays. Usually these have large webbing, spreading the rays apart. they often produce SD fry. The better quality HM/HMPK has 8 end rays and are more likely to produce HM/HMPK fry.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:00 PM   #3 
PewPewPew

Thanks, Indjo :) He's a petstore boy, so certainly not show quality!

I appreciate the info, thats really interesting!
Old 08-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #4 
thePWNISHER

Wow that is really technical. I'm glad I'm not going into breeding anytime soon. Would drive me crazy, plus having a genetics based degree I'd prolly go play mad scientist in a lab or something if I got the chance.
thePWNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

Hahaha, PWNisher XD
Old 08-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

What Indjo said. I'd call him a delta from HM lines, technically deltas and HM both have 4 ray branchings and unless you know exactly where a fish comes from you can't be certain what it's background is.

Judging by what he's got now and my past experiences, plus what I've seen from petsmart "HM" thus far I don't think he'll go a full 180*... but it never hurts to try. Just try to get him flaring for 10-15 minutes a day, twice daily and make sure he has lots of good food to grow on and just maybe he'll surprise me and fin out more.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

That'd be nice :D I dont mind deltas, IMO, I almost like them more than HM's...as pets, of course. Not as impressive- but their finnage isnt as heavy, which I can tell benefits him greatly.

He's on a steady diet of omega one mini pellets, as many as he can eat without getting backed up, and will eventually be on tropical flakes of 48% protein, 5% more than the pellets :D He flares all the time, he's quite the dope.

Thanks, guys :D
Old 08-11-2011, 04:32 AM   #8 
Larsa

oooo please please can you help me id mine!? i thought those rays meant somethin else other than looks XD so my boy Izume was in a superdelta cup with a halfmoon lid 0.o darn petco... i cant seem to tell which he is. his tail seems to reach 180 when he flares but i still cant tell.... i have some pics maybe these will help! lol what is it with bettas not staying still during pictures? lolz

Last edited by Larsa; 08-11-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:09 AM   #9 
trilobite

Larsa, if his tail makes a D shape then hes halfmoon. He looks HM in the first picture.

PewPewPew, your fish could potentially become HM if you trained him with regular flaring to strengthen his caudal.
HM finnage tends to be a combo of environmental and genetic factors.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

Larsa I'd call yours an HM.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote