The week before last I bred my two betta with ease and little effort from my part, besides the conditioning. I thought maybe I just got lucky, but as of today they bred again. I have tried breeding multiple times with the usual method (half tank with the female encase for a few days) before, but it never happened for me. So after multiple failed attempt, i tried something new. I kept on thinking to myself what was the use of keeping the female in the jar/divider/what ever one may use. After reading how "OldFishLady" breed her bettas in a natural planted tank, i tried the same thing. I was a bit skeptical at first so I only kept the tank half full and no substrate, but densely planted. After i conditioned both the bettas, I just threw them into the tank. They spawned the morning after.
If you have followed me in my other post, all of the fry from that patch had died, I have no clue as to why, but I'm pretty positive it had nothing to do with the set-up and more of maybe a parasite, young female, or food issue with the VE.
A few days ago, I cleaned up the tank and set it up differently. "OldFishLady" had spawn her bettas successfully in a natural planted tank, so I thought maybe i should stop being a skeptic. I didn't go with the full Diana Walstad NPT, but I had some left over eco-complete and used that as the substrate. I filled the tank all the way up and conditioned it with IAL. For flora I had two mother Java Fern, so I threw them both in there, as well as two large floating Water Wisteria, several bundles of 'foot long' hornwort, and some anubias on a drift wood. I threw the conditioned pair in there yesterday and I woke up to the pair spawning once more.
One would think that the water depth would be too much of a hassle for the male to keep up with the eggs when they come out, but actually its not as bad as people believe it to be. Because there's more water depth it takes longer for the eggs to sink all the way to the bottom, thus giving more time for the male to collect them and preventing them from getting lost in the substrate, though I doubt it would be a problem if an egg did so happen to sink to the bottom because of the color contrast between the egg and the substrate (white egg, black sub).
I hope this time I will have better luck with rearing the fry. I didn't start this thread to try to prove that one method is better than the other, but more so of "theres more than one way" kind of thing and mainly because I am really excited as this is my second successful spawn and wanted to share this adventure with my fellow betta enthuses.
There is a downside to this method though, horrible bubble nest. lol
Thank you for reading.