Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #1 
darkangel216

Smile Aquarium Filter Flow

I've been working on my 10g sorority for the past week or so, and one thing I've noticed is the the filter flow is probably way too fast for the bettas. I was thinking about getting the blue filter material that most filters have and putting a piece where the water flows out so that it might slow it down without totally blocking it. Would this be a good idea or no? I'm open to suggestions. :)
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

If it works, that's great! Anything you can do to keep as little current in the water as you can, the better.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:09 PM   #3 
Kittles

What kind of filter do you have? Depending on that, you could probably buffer it with a sponge or plastic bottle. There are numerous threads here on buffering that you could dig up with the search feature.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:14 PM   #4 
prettyfishy312

sorry to hijack the thread here...

but I have an aquatech 5/15 easychange filter.... how can I buffer it?
prettyfishy312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #5 
darkangel216

Lol, no problem prettyfishy312. The filter I have is the Marineland Bio-Wheel Power Filter Penguin 100.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #6 
Kittles

Apparently I meant baffle. Who knew.

Anyways, I googled both of your filters, and darkangel, I'm not sure about yours as it has the plastic front cover and I'm assuming it pours straight down out of that... and because I have no experience in baffling filters whatsoever, I'm clueless as to how to remedy your situation. Maybe you could adjust your water level? But prettyfishy, you might be able to utilize something like this: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

I'm out of my comfort zone, here.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #7 
Tinthalas Tigris

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkangel216 View Post
I've been working on my 10g sorority for the past week or so, and one thing I've noticed is the the filter flow is probably way too fast for the bettas. I was thinking about getting the blue filter material that most filters have and putting a piece where the water flows out so that it might slow it down without totally blocking it. Would this be a good idea or no? I'm open to suggestions. :)
What i've done with all my aquariums is less expensive, less permanent, and in my opinion better.

Take a small disposable drinking water bottle. Remove the label (and glue). Cut the very bottom off, and the very top, so you are left with a cylindrical tube. Cut down the length of this cylindrical tube.

Put one end of those of the cut length at the mouth of the filter, and the other just behind the filter media. The natural curl of the cylinder will clamp itself on and keep itself in place, and reduce the speed of your water from the oulet of the filter greatly.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #8 
darkangel216

Thanks Kittles and Tigris, I'll go try out a water bottle and see if I can make it work on my filter.