Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #1 
Firefly

Post Whoo hooo, got my tank set up:)

hey everyone, i finally got my tank set up:) i would post pics but i forgot to bring my phone cable to work this morning. I added my gravel and a few plants (im getting more on Thursday when my lfs gets in their shipment) and i added my soak driftwood. one problem tho, it was looking a bit dull and murkey, which i am assuming was due to the tetra aquasafe, but now this morning its looking quite a murkey yellow colour. Could the yellow colour be from the driftwood? and the murkeyness be from the unsettled gravel? will it decrease in murkiness. im going to do a water change on the weekend coming once i add my new plants. The tanks filter is running, heater and light is on too.
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:04 AM   #2 
Firefly

umm any suggestions please????
Old 04-19-2010, 02:14 AM   #3 
Tinthalas Tigris

What kind and how fine of gravel are you using?

I use playsand and it gets really dusty and dirty. if you don't rinse it to its full potential. Even if you do rinse it, it will still have alot of floating to it if you add it to an aquarium that already has water in it. It is not necessarily bad for the fish, but you want to make sure you do rinse it like a sushi chef rinses rice - thoroughly, meticulously, and then some more. This will reduce the cloudiness before the filter gets to it.

Let your power filter take care of the rest, and make sure to clean it every day with a dedicated brush (you don't want the dirt permanently taking a home in the mechanical filtration impeller unit and breaking it like not changing the oil in your car's engine).

REgarding the driftwood - it will leak tannins, the pigments responsible for its coloration for a very long time, whether you boil it for hours on end, or don't. It will release fewer and give less color change if you decide to boil it, before putting it in your tank, though. Boil any piece of driftwood for at least an hour. It cuts out alot of tannin leakng.

My driftwood was boiled several times over the course of a three hour period. This was prepared mopani driftwood as well.

I picked up some driftwood today outside the nearby national forest and boiled it for 3 hours straight. It was still leaking tannins and not sinking properly either.

I'm leaving it in a separate tub over the course of the next week to get rid of more tannins and let it soak some more.

Last edited by Tinthalas Tigris; 04-19-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:14 AM   #4 
Kittles

If your water is turning a yellowish color, it's from the driftwood. You didn't leach the tannins out before placing it in, which is fine, but will do this to your water. How long was it presoaked or boiled before being placed in your tank? Also, how big a piece is it? These will help determine how long you'll have to put up with the effect if you don't like it.

Again, don't worry about it. As far as I know it has no effect on your fish.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:20 AM   #5 
Firefly

:) thanks for the replies!! Well my gravel isnt too small, its like 3mm pebble like gravel, it is brown tho, i rinsed it off quite a bit. i put a bowl in the tank while adding water tho , not to seperate the gravel and when i lifted the boil it had some brown colouring on the bottom. As with the driftwood i soaked it in boiled water for a week with frequent water changes. im not too worried about the colour, it will make me not lazy to do water changes:D hehe, but i dont like the murkiness.

If the murkiness is due to the gravel will it settle?

Last edited by dramaqueen; 04-19-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:29 AM   #6 
Tinthalas Tigris

It will settle faster if you're using a powerful mechanical filter.

Even so, it will eventually settle.

If you use a filter with an adjustable water pull rate, putting it on a half setting has worked better for me than on lowest, or highest filtration setting. It has something to do with its relative aquatic draw, mechanical resistance, and collection points is the only collection I can come to.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:38 AM   #7 
Firefly

well its a juwel rekord with a bioflow 280 filter. Wont leaving the filter off make the dust settle easier?
Old 04-19-2010, 02:47 AM   #8 
Tinthalas Tigris

Your bioflow 280 will actually suck up all that murky looking dirt, and keep it in the mechanical filter.

(There is an impeller motor that sucks up the water and casts it into the biological filter.)

It will actually assist in clearing the water.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:53 AM   #9 
Firefly

:D oh cool:) i can post a pic of my tank. how do i post do i have to u photobucket?
i wont let me register, dunno why. can i use imageshack?
Old 04-19-2010, 03:02 AM   #10 
Firefly

hahahaha whoa sorry its so big!!

ill post a smaller one lol. i took this pic yesterday afternoon, this is before it went all discoloured and murkey