Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2010, 03:52 PM   #1 
Luca

Smile Hello!

I'm new here! :]

Sorry in advance for the long post. Just want to give some information on how we got into bettas and to make sure that everything we're doing is correct.

My son is addicted to Finding Nemo and, of course, he wanted a fish. Since I didn't know anything about aquariums I started researching and settled upon the idea of a betta since they're both pretty and from what I've read, have good personalities. I ended up getting a 5 gallon kit, substrate, plants and started cycling the tank with the help of a petstore employee. After a couple of weeks, the water parameters finally seemed stable. My husband, being the creative one he is, came up with the overall look of the tank with the rocks and the layout. We took our son to the store and he picked his favorite one. Overall, we're really happy with our new addition to the family. We ended up naming him Luca, which means "Bringer of Light." In the couple of weeks we've had him, he has brought happiness to our son's life and we love that.

One side note, in the picture I'm including, we hadn't added the heater just yet. So there is one in there now.

I have a couple of questions though.

Would we be able to add any more fish or creatures in with him? I'm thinking of something that would stay on the bottom.

The petstore employee told us to feed him pellets 5 days/week, a special treat (we got freeze-dried bloodworms) once/week and fast him at least one day of the week. Is this correct information?

Is there enough cover in the tank? I've read that they like places to hide but Luca seems to be the showy type and is always out in the front of the tank.

Last edited by Luca; 04-19-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:06 PM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

Hello and welcome to the forum!
First off, I just want to say that you have a very beautiful tank and a VERY beautiful betta who has made a very beautiful bubblenest! You also seem to have done everything right! :)

As far as other tankmates, shrimp would be a good option. Especially ghost shrimp. Be warned though, some bettas will make snacks out of them, which is fine.

Your feeding schedule is great! That's actually exactly what I do!

Hiding places, it really depends. The more is better but since you said your fish is showy, it could be okay. I have a betta who spends most of his time at the top of his tank swimming in the top half. He couldn't care much about the decorations really. I think it's up to you ultimately.

Anyways, feel free to ask anymore questions you have. We're always willing to help.

P.S. - Your petstore employee seems to know what they're talking about! Somewhat rare, lol.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #3 
mysquishy

What a pretty betta and the tank looks great! I LOVE the name Luca.
mysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #4 
rubyfire

Welcome to the forum ^.^beautiful tank setup and fish!!!
Anyways ask away lol
rubyfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:43 PM   #5 
javi

That tank is gorgeous. Very good job on your husband. Gorgeous fish and all seems correct.
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #6 
Luca

Thank you everyone! I'll look into those shrimp.

Javi, it was actually funny to watch my husband arrange and then rearrange everything until he got it right.

I was looking online and found this lantern at Petsmart. It sort of matches the rock color. Anyone have any experience with this?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752277

What taller plants do you also suggest for the back? It would have to be easy as we have a low "wpg."
Old 04-19-2010, 05:07 PM   #7 
javi

Honestly the tank so great that i think an ornament would lessen it. Just my opinion though. How did he get the rocks to stay stacked? Are they glued?
javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #8 
Luca

He used aquarium silicone after finding a layout he liked.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:46 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Nice tank and beautiful fish!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #10 
Jayy

welcome! love your setup and betta both are great
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote