Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #1 
prettyfishy312

Talking Which One???

For my soon to be betta (male... unsure of what type/color), I am thinking about which type(s) of plants to put in the tank.... should i use plastic or synthetic (as much as I want to, I don't have the time to manage live plants)... thanks again!
prettyfishy312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #2 
darkangel216

Silk plants are always good, and some plastic ones work as well. If you go plastic just make sure it's not too hard. You can check it by rubbing a stocking or toilet paper against the plastic plant, if it tears them, then it can tear the betta's fins. :)
darkangel216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #3 
Kittles

What is there to manage? Also, what size is your tank? I'd advise getting live plants unless your water changing routine would lead to their constant uprooting in which case they would most likely die. Otherwise, their primary requirement is light which involves no upkeep at all on your part, really.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:32 PM   #4 
prettyfishy312

i've just never really used live plants before so sorry if I sounded stupid kittles :( I'll look around :)
Old 04-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #5 
prettyfishy312

oh yeah and my tank is a 5g
Old 04-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #6 
Kittles

Lol, no. You're not stupid. Or sounding stupid. Just wanted to let you know that there are live plants you can buy that don't require maintenance. All you need to provide is adequate light. :>

If it does come down to plastic or silk, however, I'd definitely recommend silk. Just be sure that any plants you consider have no sharp edges, contain no wire, and do not bleed.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:44 AM   #7 
kevint1030

Yea I recommend live plants too...I had silk plants for a while then one day decided to take the chance on live plants and they're really no maintenance. All I do now is gently rub off any algae on the leaves when I change the water. Just make sure your lighting is adequate (I use a daylight compact florescent bulb) and I think live plants look so much better =).
kevint1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:49 AM   #8 
Firefly

i say go for live plants:) ive always had live plants, there are many that need no extra work to care for, and they look ALOT better and more natural that fake plants, and im sure ur betta will appreciate it too:)
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #9 
dipsydoodlenoodle

My experience with live plants is not very good so don't ask me :)

I use silk plants in their tank. I wouldn't like to risk plastic ones. Plus if you have a filter the silk plants leaves can move in the current like live plants.
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote