Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2010, 02:02 AM   #11 
Tinthalas Tigris

They are at the very least 3 months - I have had them since the beginning of January.

They all seemed to be fully grown when I got them. IIRC, the LFS got them a month before that.

___

I only have 3 bettas I suspect could be males. I have two females for sure. If I decide to separate the males from eachother, I need only power up one of my extra 10 gallons.

I'll need to get two more females for the sorority tank as well.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #12 
DragonFish

Most pet store bettas are sold at around 6 months of age or older. Sometimes local places will have them even younger, but usually never less then 4 months.

It sounds like you've been lucky do far, but remember, they could easily go months without trouble and suddenly turn on one another. Obviously its your choice to separate them, but I can tell you for sure that if you do plan on keeping them long term together you will wake up one day to dead fish. Its inevitable that they will fight at some point, after all they were originally bred FOR fighting.

Ahh, yes, what you could do is separate one 10 gallon and put the other male in the other 10, then get 2 or more females(depending on how many other fish are in there, you could have a good number of females ;))and make a Sorority out of the 28. That sounds perfect :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #13 
Mister Sparkle

You need a lot of space to keep multiple males together peacefully. I've had success with a 40-G. I introduced the males to opposite ends of the aquarium, and I set up the filter outflow in the middle along with a "bubble wand". This created a natural divider of sorts, making it undesirable for either male to cross the turbulent waters to the other's territory.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #14 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I think this is one of the controversial topics. Everyone has different inputs. IMO even if you had a 100G, it still isn't safe. In the wild they rarely kill each other. They'll fight and the loser swims away, but in a tank where there isn't that much room for the loser to swim away, it'll eventually end up with death. They are extremely territorial fish. I only advise people to do this that are VERY experienced with bettas so they know all the signs and know when to remove the fish.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #15 
Tinthalas Tigris

Here are the pics. LET ME ADD. Yes, they are flaring. YES, I have separated them.

I currently have one male in with 2 of the females, and they're managing. I need to get two more females now, for thei rpecking order to stay proper. I can't believe I had 3 males with 2 females all this time.

1 male, foreground. Female, background.
\distinct difference. 2 males foreground. Blue female in the background.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote