Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #1 
BettaCee

Split fin

New here, I adopted Matisse yesterday and his Caudal fin is split completely. Can a complete split heal? How long does that normally take? He's in a Hex 5, does he need aquarium salt and if so, how much? Thanks!!!
Attached Images

BettaCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

It can heal. A little salt (3 tbs. ought to be enough). Make sure there's no iodine in the salt, or use aquarium salt. FREQUENT WATER CHANGES are a must!!!! As much as you can handle.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:24 AM   #3 
BettaCee

Thanks! I was hoping he could heal. He is so beautiful. I put some Aquarium salt in, but I am scared to put 3T. Is that safe? Guess so or you would not have suggested it. Thanks Again!
BettaCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #4 
Mister Sparkle

Yes, it's safe. Keep us posted on his progress!
Old 04-23-2010, 05:18 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

I would start with 1tsp/gal on the aquarium salt along with 50% daily water changes for 10 days, then go with 50% daily water changes without salt for 10 more day.
You should see healing within 3-5 days, however, the fins sometimes will not look the same, the main thing you want is to prevent a secondary infection at the injured site and make sure nothing in the tank can cause injuries or did you buy him with the torn fin.....
He is a beautiful fella by the way...love his colors.....nice find.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:32 PM   #6 
BerkB33

Talking

Not trying to be contradictory or that, but...3 tablespoons sounds like a bit much for 5 gallons of water? A teaspoon per gallon...or...a tablespoon for 5 gallons sounds better...IMO!
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #7 
Mister Sparkle

Hey, that's fine! Use less if you like! 8) With 50% daily water changes, that stuff's going to dilute to next-to-nothing in so little time anyway.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Sorry I missed that this was a 5g tank......
When treating it is better to treat in a small QT tank and it make it easier to add the correct amount of salt as well and doing 100% daily water changes, however, I would skip the salt all together and just make daily water changes and keep the water temp in the 76-77F area to inhibit bacterial growth.

If you treat in the 5g tank and add 5tsp of salt and make a 50% water change add 2.5tsp of salt after the water change, remember 5g is not really 5g of water due to the off set from the weight of items in the tank and some tanks are not a true 5g anyway...another reason I like to treat in QT and have my salt water pre mixed in a 1g jug

Using wrong dosages can cause problems in of itself by creating resistant pathogens/parasite and it will not help/treat what you are treating.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #9 
Mister Sparkle

Is there such a thing as a "salt-resistant" pathogen? If salt's going to kill it, it's going to kill it. It's not like an antibiotic!
Old 04-23-2010, 06:17 PM   #10 
BerkB33

Ok, guys and gals...I'm trying to understand here. If I start with say a 5 gallon tank...and I add 5 teaspoons of salt...then I do a water change and remove 3 gallons..."my logic" says I'll add 3 teaspoons to bring my water back to the same salt content it had prior to the water change? Is that NOT correct? Do you need to add "a little extra" to maintain the same salt content?
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote