Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2010, 02:50 AM   #1 
Firefly

Buying a betta

hi, i will be buying my betta soon and would like to know at what age the bettas u buy in a shop are. ive seen one i really like at my lfs, but he looks quite big compared to some of the others which are half his size. i dont wana buy and 'old' betta. how old should the ones u buy be?
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:52 AM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

Most of the ones you see in the store will be about a year old. It takes quite some time for the finnage to grow out. If you want a "younger" betta, you can improve your chances by choosing one whose fins look like they aren't fully grown. The size of the fish can be deceptive. Some are just naturally bigger than others.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I've noticed that the pet stores around here have been getting them really young. I'd say about 5-6 months. I'm not even sure if you asked the pet store manager if he/she would know how old they are. Unless you're a very experienced breeder and see the babies grow up time after time, you probably won't know the exact age. The only way to know for sure is to go directly to a breeder.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #4 
xxabc

The ones here are starting to get VERY, VERY young.Not even an inch. (IMO I still tend to fall in love with the "older" bettas, hehe). I haven't had any bad luck with the older ones yet. Both of mine I got were pretty big when I got them, and never grew since. It's been 2 years.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote