Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #1 
catfat

Unhappy 2yr old Female betta bloated. need help

I have a 2yr old female betta who is quite bloated (no pine coning). She has never had this problem before. She appears to be more bloated on her right side than her left. I noticed it within a couple of hours after feeding her. Believing it to be constipation, I did a 50% water change and fasted her for 48 hrs, then gave her some pea. No improvement, so I fasted her again for another 48 hrs and gave her pea again. No improvement. I finally felt it might be necessary to give her an epsom salt bath. So i did for 15 mins twice on Sunday and did a 50% water change. No improvement. I again gave her a small piece of pea yesterday and still no improvement. She is acting normally, including her appetite (strong). I recently moved and the tank has been up for 2 months now. i just tested the water.
5 gallon tank
pH 6.8
ammonia 1.0 ppm
nitrite .25 ppm
nitrate 5.0 ppm
I plan on doing another water change today.
I'm a little frustrated at this point. If anyone has ideas please let me know, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Here are some pics. Thanks
Attached Images

catfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would start doing daily to twice daily 50% water changes to get your ammonia and nitrite levels at 0ppm. Have you checked your source water for ammonia?

If the edema or swelling is irregular it may be a tumor in the uterus or kidney (not cancer) and not much you can do except make her comfy.

IME this happens in older females especially one that are kept in long term aquarium salt that can cause kidney damage (not saying you keep her in long term salt). And females that have been spawned multi times as well as in virgin female.

Have you seen her feces, if so what does it look like?

You can also add 1tsp/gal of Epsom salt to help reduce swelling/edema along with daily water changes for 10 days and see if that helps any.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloated, constipation, eggs, female, swollen