Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #11 
Tinman23

Yeah, they get along fine and bettas and goldfish are very tolerant to water temp and condition, but its not fair to have them together. The betta needs warm water and the goldfish cold. What...are you gonna make the water one way for one fish and make the other unhappy??? I can see if thats how its been for a while and your fish are used to it..but dont run out and buy one and plan to mix with a betta...plane ahead!!! :)
Tinman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #12 
vaygirl

I'm glad you were able to take it back. Otos are pretty cool I've read!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #13 
Tinman23

Ottos are very cool looking, definetly a great addition!
Tinman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #14 

i just had the exact same thing happen! i put a small black moor in with my betta and the next day the black moor's tail was ripped to shreds. I removed him but he ended up dieing :(. I know better know not to mix the two!
82028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #15 
MustardGas

Definitely a good thing you took the goldie back! Otos are fun, though you may see your betta chase them if they're in front of him. They're quick little buggers though, so no worries there! I've got a pair in my 10g with my betta boy, used to have three.
Otos are really finicky when it comes to introducing them to new tanks. Mine was FULL of yummy diatoms; a perfect time to add them! Though they tend to die randomly any time in the first month or so, but after then they're very hardy fish! Many take to zucchini very well, and your betta will probably eat any sinking wafer you put in for them!
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:24 AM   #16 
s3kshun62

Yeah, I've noticed Unagi attack sinking waffers on the way down....but when they hit, she leaves em alone. My 3 otos, Wasabi and my two no names so far...oddly enough are different types of otos and they get along great.
s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #17 
Sens

I don't know about Goldfish being Gorilla's....they seem to be a total pain to keep ... I have 3 Oranda's that are so much drama...they are gorgeous but damn! Betta's are way easier to keep and require far less space...We are looking into getting a huge tank just for the 3 Oranda's to keep them alive when we move... My betta fish hate filters and my Oranda's have 2 in their tank at the moment just to keep it clean until we move and they get a bigger tank....I have heard that a goldfish may survive warmer waters but it decreases their life span quite a bit.
Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #18 
burn84

They should not mix as both require different temperatures of water. It also all depends on personality of the Betta too.

Last edited by burn84; 05-09-2010 at 11:47 PM.
burn84 is offline   Reply With Quote