Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #1 
kpullen89

I may have a sick betta..

I just bought Zodiac a couple days ago and I'm beginning to notice some weird things about his behavior. He's a marble betta, and now his white colorations(around his head) are turning pinkish. Same with the clear parts of his fins! I can't get a clear picture to save my life(or his!) so sorry there's nothing to see here.

He is also swimming with crazy bursts of speed, he looks panicky. He swam around normally for the first day but now he tries to burry himself in the rocks in between his darting swims. I've looked up all the possible diseases and nothing really fits this! Except maybe gill parasites? But I'm not sure.. Any ideas?
kpullen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #2 
DarthMaul
Banned

he could still be VERY stressed from the big move and is still adjusting. Their could be something in the tank he does not like or even in the water. He sounds stressed and something is bothering him majorly. I suggest, in my opinion and in my experience, i would keep him in a very dark, quite, and warm place and also add some aquarium salt for a week just to be safe. So he can de-stress and get adjusted to his new loving home =]
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:41 PM   #3 
vaygirl

I think that's called flashing (the whole darting and burying himself thing). I have no experience with parasites but I know others here do. They might be able to help.

The color changing I have experience with. I was convinced that Whiskey was sick because he had red streaks in his dorsal. It was just a color change and I medicated the poor guy with antibiotics for a while trying to get color off of him. :\
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

can you give him a few hiding spots like a leafy silk plant or a cave? maybe he's just freaked out and a nervous nellie. at least you can rule that out if he has hiding spots and still exhibits the same behavior.

hope he's ok.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Start making some 50% water changes every day...anytime you see behavior changes make water changes of at least 50%...9 out of 10 times it is water quality issues and a water change will fix it......fresh clean dechlorintaed water often is the cure.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #6 
DarthMaul
Banned

Water changes are good, but since he Is a brand new fish, couldn't he still be adjusting and could be stressed? We a pic so we can all see what he looks like and water parameters would be ok. IMO/IME.. 9/10 times the water is not the issue.
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #7 
Sella

THis probably won't help AT ALL, but when my guppies flashed it was two things, 1) High Ammonia
2) Velvet disease.
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:49 AM   #8 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Start making some 50% water changes every day...anytime you see behavior changes make water changes of at least 50%...9 out of 10 times it is water quality issues and a water change will fix it......fresh clean dechlorintaed water often is the cure.....
FTW!!!!! This is my experience, too. New water is the best medicine in the world!
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:25 PM   #9 
TimmyD

I wish I had an answer for you, but my fish seems to be doing the same thing. I just moved him to a much bigger tank, and he is also sitting on the bottom/burying himself. He also swims in those crazy bursts of speeds. He was also fine the first 3 days in the new tank.

If I find any type of answer for you I will try and let you know...
TimmyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #10 
TimmyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMaul View Post
he could still be VERY stressed from the big move and is still adjusting. Their could be something in the tank he does not like or even in the water. He sounds stressed and something is bothering him majorly. I suggest, in my opinion and in my experience, i would keep him in a very dark, quite, and warm place and also add some aquarium salt for a week just to be safe. So he can de-stress and get adjusted to his new loving home =]

I think he is right. ^^^ I tried what he said, and it didn't work, but when I put him back in his old home, he's back to his old self at the moment, so stress is probably your problem. Hope everything works out.
TimmyD is offline   Reply With Quote