Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-19-2010, 11:37 PM   #1 
brancasterr

Odd question...

So I have a feeling, judging by my water parameters, that the fishless cycle I'm doing will be complete in a few days. I know that once the cycle is complete I'll need to stock my tank as soon as possible (within 24-30 hours if I'm not mistaken). However, I'm going to be extremely busy this week with work and finals and do not know if I'll be able to get to the fish store when the cycle is complete. My question is: How do I prolong the cycle? Or in better words, how do I keep the cycle from dying off and causing me to start all over? Can I keep putting very small amounts of ammonia in to keep the cycle from crashing?

On a side note; when I do stock my tank should I completely stock it 100% or do a few fish at a time? (it's a 10 gallon rectangular)

Thanks. :D
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:26 AM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

Yes. Adding a little ammonia will keep feeding those bacteria.

Stock about 20% of your final capacity about every week or two weeks.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #3 
brancasterr

Thanks Mister Sparkle! I was hoping that's all I had to do. Could you give me a little insight on how you think I should stock my tank? I'm planning on doing glofish(maybe the neons you suggested), cory's (either panda or julii, can't decide as of yet), and two ADF's.

You said about 20% every week. So should I do the cory's, glofish/neons, or ADF's first? Which are more sensitive?
Old 04-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #4 
Mister Sparkle

All of the fish you are looking at right now are pretty hardy. Some tetras ca be a little finicky with water quality, though. I'd probably add everyone else before you put your betta in there. If the territory he falls in love with happens to be in a high traffic area, he might be pretty attached to it by the time that becomes evident...which can cause some confrontations. Neons and corys will just skitter away and forget about it, but I personally think that danios look for ways to mess with others! If I didn't know better, I'd think they were laughing about it...but that's just me!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #5 
brancasterr

Haha, that's quite funny. I love when fish have personalities but I won't be okay with them picking fights. Do you know anything about the african dwarf frogs? Are those particularly hardy as well? I'm so excited to get my fish in there!
Old 04-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #6 
Mister Sparkle

I don't do frogs, myself.

Yea...the danios definitely have personality. But they don't really pick fights. It just seems like they have a real sense of humor and a lot of confidence that they can easily get away.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #7 
brancasterr

Hmmm, hopefully someone will come along with more knowledge on the frogs.

Thank you Mister Sparkle for all of your help!
Old 04-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #8 
zoragen

Starting a new tank - how exciting!

I have a frog at work. I had him in with my betta Freddy in a 3 gal but it was really hard to feed him & he was afraid of Freddy.

Freddy was not really aggressive - but did poke at him a few times.

Actually it's my office mates frog - she went & bought one of those AWFUL TINY things from Brookstone w/ 2 frogs & a snail. Of course the snail & one frog died.

So I decided to try him in with Freddy. After about a week of trying to keep Freddy from eating all the frog food - I made a rock cave & put tape around the end of a ruler & stuck food to it to get the food under it & Freddy tied himself in knots to get to the food - & the poor frog hide all the time so I put him in a betta cube by himself.

I was afraid it was too small but it was all I had.

I was going to bring him home - my betta Sir Fins - is in a 6 gal cycled tank w/ plants & I thought he might like it.

But I was afraid I'd have the same problem feeding him.

I've read that people use a small plate & drop the food on it & you can train the frog to go to the plate.

But with piggy betta's like mine I have to separate them!

He is cute & fun to watch.
zoragen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:35 PM   #9 
xxabc

Just had to mention: I saw those at Brookestone! I love that store! But...the love has lessened. Grr.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #10 
Betta Slave

I used to keep African dwarf frogs with bettas... cute little things. They got along just fine, but in case your betta decides to pick a fight with your frog, make sure there are lots of hiding places for your frog to escape to.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote