Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2010, 12:55 AM   #1 
HeleneK

Help My fish is sick... or dying.

So I've had my betta for a few weeks now. Ludwig was a beautiful blue when I got him but his color is fading. I thought He might have velvet and I have been treating him with quick cure but it didn't seem to work so I also tried Betta Revive. I don't know if he is just aging or dying but he barely moves or eats it just stays in one corner of the tank.
I attached some pictures (I moved him into different containers to get a better look). I thought that the rustygold like stuff on his head (that used to be black) hat to be velvet but if you look at the other picture you see he seems to be turning pink. I've been conditioning his water changing it twice a week since he started to become sick and keeping it warm. I don't know what I am doing wrong but he seems to have lost his spirit. He used to flare and move around and make bubble nests but now he does nothing. please help.
Thanks
Attached Images

HeleneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:38 AM   #2 
veronicamarae

I wish I could help you. I am knew here and my past betta experiences have not been good. Keep doing the best you can and I hope you keep updating on his status.

good luck
veronicamarae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:07 AM   #3 
Mister Sparkle

water parameters?

Temps?

Twice-weekly water changes...got that...how big is his "home"?
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:56 AM   #4 
Hadouken441

Tetracycline fixed everything wrong with my betta. Columnaris is very common and that is most likely the problem.
Hadouken441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #5 
xxabc

It doesn't look like velvet, but that's hard to see over the camera.

I would say don't use medications if you are not 100% sure on what it is.

What size is that? It may help to do daily, or every other day, water changes just for the sake of healthy and clean water for him. Aquarium salt is a beautiful thing too, I would highly recommend buying some. The smallest size is quite cheap.

I don't see a heater either...bettas are tropical and they're best in 77-80F.

Bettas also seem to highly appreciate crowded tanks. I have at least 8 large plants (it is divided, so 4 plants each side). For me, it alleviated stress and made them more comfortable. Like an actual "territory" that is theirs (they're territorial fish).

And what do you mean "condition twice a week." Do you just put in water conditioner? If so, what conditioner really is is for putting it directly into NEW water. When you remove water, and replace it with new water (water change!), you have to put the conditioner in the new water and then put it in. It doesn't go directly into the tank, unless the tank is 100% new water and your betta is not in there. The chlorine in tap water will kill him. Nearly all conditioners at least remove chlorine.

So for starters, buy a heater (if you don't have one), and do water changes every day / every other day. Also add in aquarium salt for him as well. Plants will be the next step down.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:35 PM   #6 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
When you remove water, and replace it with new water (water change!), you have to put the conditioner in the new water and then put it in. It doesn't go directly into the tank, unless the tank is 100% new water and your betta is not in there.
Well, in all honesty, you can put the water conditioner into the aquarium before you pour in the new water. For those who fill up directly from the faucet (i.e. through a hose), this is the only way to do it. It works fine.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue betta, color loss, velvet