Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2014, 01:19 AM   #1 
williamwong411

New Betta, Lethargic and Small

I got a betta from petsmart a week ago, and he hasn't been moving a lot since i introduced him to his 0.5 gallon. I thought, hey, he should get a 2.5 gallon, so I went into my garage and set it all up for him.

He did not have a filter for the past week but now, he has a whisper 3i.
No heater (heater isn't heating very well) but, temperature stays between 76-85)
The Filter bubbles and he doesn't respond when the bubbles are popping on top of his head. What is wrong with him?

I also added like 6-8 chunks of aq salt in.
williamwong411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:18 AM   #2 
TheBlur

Bettas don't like bubblers as far as I know. They also don't like much water movement. I'd suggest creating a baffle for your filter to lessen the out-flow or bubbles. Swimming is tough when you got a lot of finnage to carry around with you, and currents just make it harder on them.

He might just still be acclimating, but my bet its the filter thats bothering him. Thats a lot of change for a little guy. To a fish, 2 weeks is not a whole lot of time. My boys didn't start behaving "normally" until after a few weeks, and thats with staying in the same environment the whole time! Tank changes/water changes are stressful so he might be having a hard time with the change. I'd leave him be for a while. As long as he isn't showing any signs of sickness he should be ok.

Does he eat/swim without issues?
TheBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:24 AM   #3 
williamwong411

Well, when he gets stressed (water changes) he lays on the bottom like he is sitting down. And he sometimes just floats at the top of the tank. And no, I cannot make a baffle for the filter, the filter I have right now is very gentle, and you can't even make a baffle for it because its shape is weird. but I turned it down a notch. I feed 2-4 pellets a day (with long intervals throughout the day) Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets. When I got him he had his lips a bit swollen. They went down, but just a little puffy. He used to have trouble getting air. Oh, and to add, I have added 2 Indian Almond leaves to the fish tank. The water is a amber color and a bit cloudish.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:25 AM   #4 
williamwong411

My Betta has as much fins your profile pic Betta is, but he is also an elephant ear.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:46 AM   #5 
TheBlur

aaah EE bettas tend to be a little more lethargic as far as I've ever heard. They like resting on things so I don't think thats abnormal. Even my Blur has to take a break now and then. (Big fins are exhausting). :P Blur was originally listed as a HM, but it turns out he was just really young and is a SuperDelta! He's almost doubled in size since that photo (day 1). x3

All of my guys are stressed after water changes too. Thats normal. It usually takes them several hours to recover.

Indian Almond leaves will cloud the water and make it amber/gold colored. Its normal. :) A lot of betta owners actually aim to achieve that gold-tinted water!

Your food/tank sounds fine to me. Its likely he's just stressed and needs a little more time to adjust.

Is he floating/laying on his side or struggling to balance? If not then he's likely just exhausted or stressed. Saying that his lips were puffy and he was struggling to breathe sounds like he might have gotten ammonia poisoning from being in the petshop cup. (Actually fairly common since they're usually so dirty). Keep his water clean and warm and he should recover. If he's having a hard time swimming or getting to the surface for air you can consider lowering his water level so its a bit easier for him until he can swim/breathe without issue.

Do note that it may take him another few days to a week or so to be considered 100% IF he did have ammonia poisoning.

Last edited by TheBlur; 06-22-2014 at 04:48 AM.
TheBlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #6 
williamwong411

I never had a BETTA who wasn't active the first day. All day today he has just been hiding in a decoration. He has gotten worse. There are many ignored pellets around the tank.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #7 
williamwong411

His gill has a weird shape, like a little bent.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:22 AM   #8 
williamwong411

not moving much.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #9 
Taeanna
Reference Team

He may be responding to his new home in a new way. Bettas can respond to stress in two main ways, one is pacing and glass surfing and the other is to establish a 'safe spot' in their tank that they will not leave at all for some time. Then slowly inch out and explore a bit of the tank at a time and race back to their spot.

I recommend giving him a few days to settle in fully, remember many pet store bettas come from fish farms where they have never had any real room to move and stretch their fins, he needs to realize that this new palace is all for him.

Also that crease in his gill is likely just the hinged part on his gill flap, if you show him a mirror or get him to flare at something you will see that line is where he bends it forward to show off his faceplate.

Keep us posted on how he goes, hopefully he settles down soon but if not let us know and we can look into other reasons for his behavior.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #10 
VivianKJean

My EE is actually the most active out of all my bettas so don't think that EE are supposed to more lethargic.

I'm actually going to recommend getting a heater that works and is also adjustable. Heaters not only heat the water but also keep it at a stable temperature. Too much temperature change can stress you betta out and weaken his immune system.

Also how much are you doing water changes?
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote