Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #1 
tulsileaf

he's not eating!

I have a beautiful red male beta that we have had for about 6 months and had been doing really well.

Well the last few weeks I have noticed that he isn't eating. I would feed him about 5 pellets every day and he would gobble them up. Well now I notice when he goes to eat a pellet, he spits it back out. HE does it like three or four times and then leaves them alone and they float up top. I had been changing his water once a week. His colour is fading (he is looking kinda transparent almost).

Any suggestions?
tulsileaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems.....

How big is his tank, water temp, how much water are you changing weekly and additives used?

I would stop feeding him or offering him food at this point and start making 50% daily water changes and see if his color comes back and he perks up
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #3 
tulsileaf

He's in an almost gallon vase. I don't have a temp gauge because they said I don't need one. He sits in a window so the bowl stay warmish. Should I keep him warmer? Should I get him a temp gauge? I was changing his water all out when I do it. I also noticed some algae today when I changed him. Thanks
Old 04-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #4 
Betta Fish Bob
Banned

Have you always fed him 5 pellets?

And what size are the pellets?

If bettas eat too much, they can get swim bladder disease, and they will stop eating. "Kanamycin" is very good for swim bladder, but sometimes hard to find. If you cannot find it, buy "Tetracycline" or "Furan 2.

Also, if he gets cold he will stop eating.

Is the temp 79 - 81 or so?
Betta Fish Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

In that size container you need to increase your water changes to at least 3 times a week, get a temp of the water...too cold and they can get lethargic too much direct sun in that size of a container and they can overheat pretty fast.

IMO/E- do not add any medication unless you know what is wrong, medications can be stressful and hard on a fish, often all that need to be done are water changes, if you have poor water quality the fish immune response is compromised and they can not help themselves heal or get better.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:05 AM   #6 
tulsileaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
In that size container you need to increase your water changes to at least 3 times a week, get a temp of the water...too cold and they can get lethargic too much direct sun in that size of a container and they can overheat pretty fast.

IMO/E- do not add any medication unless you know what is wrong, medications can be stressful and hard on a fish, often all that need to be done are water changes, if you have poor water quality the fish immune response is compromised and they can not help themselves heal or get better.

Okay. I will do this. I know the water is not to hot, I have been concerned it has been to cold actually. If it is to cold, how do I warm it up? A lamp?

Should I stop offering food for a few days like the previous poster said?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

IMO-yes, stop feeding and start doing 50% daily water changes for at least 3 days, adding a lamp will help some depending on the type of bulb, however, it will not help at night when it is turned off.....you need a heater to keep his water stable at 78-80F, do you have anything larger you can keep him in so that you can safely add a heater, they do have heaters 7.5w for 1g bowls...I know Foster and Smith has them on-line......
Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 PM   #8 
bonfiliof

Sorry you are having issues. That happened to my old betta, he stopped eating. At first I thought it was because the water was too cold, but then he started to get transparent like yours. It ended up that he had dropsy. And sorry to say if he has that unless you get it very early on the survival rate is not good.
bonfiliof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #9 
tulsileaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonfiliof View Post
Sorry you are having issues. That happened to my old betta, he stopped eating. At first I thought it was because the water was too cold, but then he started to get transparent like yours. It ended up that he had dropsy. And sorry to say if he has that unless you get it very early on the survival rate is not good.
The good thing is that since I have put the light on him, he has perked up and is swimming around a lot more. I am hoping it is because his water is to cold.

Now that I look at him more, he doesn't look transparent, just not as vivid as he was. He was a deep crimson and now he is more of a orange red.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #10 
bonfiliof

Ahh good news...before I had my betta in with a heater the cold definitely affected his eating habits!
Glad he is on the road to wellness!
bonfiliof is offline   Reply With Quote