Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #1 
Drowzy

My plans

I am probably getting one betta male.
Here is the setup i am thinking about

2-3 Glass bowl with some kind of water in it.

some gravel at the bottom

maybe like a obstacle and a fake plant

My house is at like 72 degrees is that going to kill him? My aunt once had one and it lived for 3 years. And it was in a similar setup.

I am wondering if weekly water changes is good.
Drowzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:27 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

That's great that you're thinking about getting a betta! I'd suggest getting a 2G tank or up. Sometimes bowls can be harder to clean than tanks. Also, we say "the bigger the tank, the better and easier it is to keep". A lot of people think that if you get a smaller bowl or tank it'll be easier, which is just the opposite. A 2G tank should be cleaned 100% (cleaning everything) twice a week. Where as if you got a 5G tank and had it cycled you'd only be doing 50% or 30% water changes a week. Walmart has 5G tank for $30.

If you're using tap water, you'll need a water conditioner. Make sure to get a couple silk plants and something for him/her to hide in. They love hiding places and it makes them feel safe.

Since bettas are warm water fish, they need a constant temperature of 76-80* F so you should get a heater also. Don't afraid to ask questions, we're here to help. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #3 
Drowzy

If my budget was 30-50 dollars what could i do. And i want him to be comfertable i just really dont have much money that i can spend right now. and links to the products would be helpfull too!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #4 
TheJadeBetta

Is there a Wal-Mart or Petco or Petsmart near you?
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #5 
brancasterr

Here is a good starter kit that includes a good heater for under 50 dollars.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Tetra-5-Ga...Specifications

Also, I would recommend looking on craigslist or freecycle for a second hand tank. You can find them for very cheap or even for free (on freecycle). That way you can spend less money on a tank and more on live/silk plants, substrate, and other necessities that will make your fish very comfortable. :) If you do get a second hand tank it will require a substantial amount of cleaning though. And any tank 5 gallons and up really should be cycled before the addition of any fish.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #6 
xxabc

I was able to get everything (5 gallon tank+heater+gravel+filter) for under $50. The tank/filter is the one brancasterr recommended. However the decorations will be more difficult. And bettas DO appreciate the crowding of plants. One plant will not suffice for your betta. The hidey-hole is recommended. I would say buy one plant every week, or every two weeks, if you can. In a 5 gallon, this will not take long. Bettas aren't fond with too much open space (and this isn't to be mixed up with 'bettas can't be in large tanks'!). They need their 'territory', and open space is not territory.

Hope this helped a little bit. :)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #7 
Drowzy

What is cycling? and i have a petsmart walmart and petco near me (i live where they started walmart)
Old 04-21-2010, 10:31 AM   #8 
Mister Sparkle

72 won't kill him, but he'll be sluggish and susceptible to disease. 76-degrees is the absolute coldest you should allow his water to get, to ensure health and vitality. 78-82 range is ideal.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #9 
brancasterr

Cycling is putting your tank through the nitrogen cycle to build up beneficial bacteria that will consume ammonia(fish wastes), nitrItes, and nitrAtes. All of which are poisonous to fish.

There are a couple methods widely used to cycle tanks; fish-in and fishless. Fish-in cycling uses a cruel method so I would recommend using the fishless cycling method unless you can bare the weight of torturing a poor fish on your conscience.

You can find more information on cycling here:

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #10 
Drowzy

Ok if i get a two gallon will i have to cycle, also if i get a filter how often do i need to switch the water?