Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #1 
Smooglez

Betta dying?

Hello. I recently bought what I believe to be a female betta about a week or two ago. She, unfortunately, lives in a .75 gallon bowl with a live plant. I do weekly water changes, feed her twice a day and once a week give her a blood worm as I do with all my bettas. Yesterday she began acting weird. She just lays at the top of the bowl or at the bottom under the plant, sometimes lays on the leaves. Normally she swims up to me when I walk by or walk over but she hasn't really recently. She barely moves. She does go to the top to get food but then swims back down or just lays still. I'm at work right now and asked my mom to check on her. She says she's losing color. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I thought about buying her a 1.5 gallon. I know it's still small, but it's better than a .75 gallon bowl and has a filter. Not to mention I don't have much room for anything bigger.
Smooglez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:13 PM   #2 
William Zhong

do you have some pics?
William Zhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #3 
Smooglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Zhong View Post
do you have some pics?
I do not right now as I'm at work. I'll be home in about 2 hours so I can take some pictures if she's still alive, that is. Dx
Old 06-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #4 
William Zhong

okay, its okay. good luck for them :D
William Zhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #5 
Smooglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Zhong View Post
okay, its okay. good luck for them :D
Do you have any ideas without pictures? As soon as I get home which should be about 30 minutes or so I'll take some pictures but I'm just wondering.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #6 
Smooglez

I've also noticed her, every now and then, swim around rather... energetically like she's had an energy drink or something which isn't really normal either. Here are some pictures I recently took.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:37 PM   #7 
hubbley

How often do you do water changes? I know you said weekly, but does that mean once a week? With a bowl that small I can imagine you would need to water changes at least three times a week to keep ammonia levels low. That could be a cause of her behavior.
hubbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #8 
Smooglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbley View Post
How often do you do water changes? I know you said weekly, but does that mean once a week? With a bowl that small I can imagine you would need to water changes at least three times a week to keep ammonia levels low. That could be a cause of her behavior.
Oh gosh... I believe I try to do them at least twice a week. I take the cups I got them in, two of em, and fill it up with her water so that's about 30%? I then keep the rest in the bowl, fill up the cups with new water, let them sit for a little bit and then add them in. Of course I condition them, too.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #9 
hubbley

I think you should be doing at least one 100% water change. I'm honestly not sure with a bowl that small, but since it's unfiltered (I'm assuming this) only 30% doesn't sound like enough.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #10 
hubbley

1-4gal without a filter or live plants
Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-100%

That's from the OFL water change recommendations. Since yours is even smaller you'll want to increase it a bit to make up for the difference.