Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #11 
Smooglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbley View Post
I think you should be doing at least one 100% water change. I'm honestly not sure with a bowl that small, but since it's unfiltered (I'm assuming this) only 30% doesn't sound like enough.
I have done a few 100% water changes, but then I've read that they weren't good? No idea. It does have one live plant, but I assume that's not enough. I guess I could do a water change now and see if that works?
Smooglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #12 
hubbley

I was told that as well, but that was for my filtered 5.5 gallon tank. Since yours is so small and unfiltered I think at least one 100% a week would help.
hubbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #13 
Smooglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbley View Post
I was told that as well, but that was for my filtered 5.5 gallon tank. Since yours is so small and unfiltered I think at least one 100% a week would help.
Okie dokie! I'll do that 100% water change right now! :3
However, if it doesn't help, what could possibly be wrong? Would I need to get a bigger tank or something?
Old 06-22-2014, 10:42 PM   #14 
kevinap2

Do you have any idea on water temp? Given your location, I'm guessing it's warm enough that you probably don't need a heater, but these are tropical fish.

I'm leaning toward water quality myself. Get the water change done, make sure it's well conditioned, and add her back. See what happens.
kevinap2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:53 PM   #15 
Smooglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinap2 View Post
Do you have any idea on water temp? Given your location, I'm guessing it's warm enough that you probably don't need a heater, but these are tropical fish.

I'm leaning toward water quality myself. Get the water change done, make sure it's well conditioned, and add her back. See what happens.
Going to be completely honest... my house isn't that warm. Dx For some reason they enjoy keeping it somewhat cold, but it's also really hot outside now. However, my other betta doesn't have a heater as well and he is pretty active, though he's in a 3 gallon with a filter and live plants. I believe their temps around about 72-74. When I do water changes I try to do warmer water, though. If I could find a small enough heater to put in it, I definitely would though.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:26 AM   #16 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Get her the biggest tank you can afford but at least one gallon. Don't try to put warmer water when you water change; the water should be the same temperature so invest in a thermometer if you don't have one already. Truth is, heaters are more to keep temperatures stable. A stable 72 is temperature is healthier than a fluctuating higher one.

Your Betta's actions indicate high Ammonia. Hubbley, IMO, is spot on about doing more frequent and larger water changes. If the tank and cup temperatures are the same, there's no need to acclimate. Just pour her and the cup water through a net and place her back in the aquarium.

With one gallon tanks and larger there's no need to remove the Betta at all.

Good luck!
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:39 AM   #17 
Smooglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Get her the biggest tank you can afford but at least one gallon. Don't try to put warmer water when you water change; the water should be the same temperature so invest in a thermometer if you don't have one already. Truth is, heaters are more to keep temperatures stable. A stable 72 is temperature is healthier than a fluctuating higher one.

Your Betta's actions indicate high Ammonia. Hubbley, IMO, is spot on about doing more frequent and larger water changes. If the tank and cup temperatures are the same, there's no need to acclimate. Just pour her and the cup water through a net and place her back in the aquarium.

With one gallon tanks and larger there's no need to remove the Betta at all.

Good luck!
Oh, don't get me wrong, when I do partial water changes I let the cups sit out for a little bit and then pour them in. When I do 100% I, of course, acclimate her to the temp in the bowl before putting her in. :3

After changing her water she seems more active, however, it is that really energetic type that doesn't seem all that normal.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:29 AM   #18 
Smooglez

I take that back. She's laying on the bottom still and pretty much burring herself under the gems. Dx
Old 06-23-2014, 03:38 AM   #19 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

To make it easier on yourself fill a couple of gallon and let them set out near her tank. If they set out several hours they should be the same temperature.

Hope she gets better. Keeping my fingers crossed.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:44 AM   #20 
beautiful Betta

I would say definitely water quality issues, I am treating a sick fish and he can only be in a inch of water (cant swim, I bought him like it) he was in about half a gallon of water at one point, I was constantly checking water quality and to keep it good, I needed to do 3 100% water changes a day, to keep it at safe levels. I have moved him now and he is in about 2 gallons and now I am doing 1 100% and one 50% a day, and that isn't me just being over the top, I am just monitoring the water and doing water changes accordingly. That is how quickly the Ammonia builds from the test results. I would suggest you purchase a Ammonia test kit. API is a good make, and you want the liquid one.
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote