Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2014, 07:16 AM   #21 
William Zhong

you can isolate your fish. before its too late, put some salt to the water, follow the dosages, 1gr/100gr water, you can count it by yourself. and then put some Indian Almond Leaf, 1 leaf for 25 gallons. Remember, no tank mates and no filter, just keep the water clean
William Zhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #22 
Smooglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful Betta View Post
I would say definitely water quality issues, I am treating a sick fish and he can only be in a inch of water (cant swim, I bought him like it) he was in about half a gallon of water at one point, I was constantly checking water quality and to keep it good, I needed to do 3 100% water changes a day, to keep it at safe levels. I have moved him now and he is in about 2 gallons and now I am doing 1 100% and one 50% a day, and that isn't me just being over the top, I am just monitoring the water and doing water changes accordingly. That is how quickly the Ammonia builds from the test results. I would suggest you purchase a Ammonia test kit. API is a good make, and you want the liquid one.
Yeah, I was going to purchase an ammonia test kit today. Was going to go to Walmart but I don't believe they have a liquid one? Does petsmart or petco have em? I have a lps but they're pretty expensive.
Smooglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #23 
emuted

In my opinion, for a space that small, frequent water changes are necessary.

However if you cant maintain a frequent schedule of water change, a tip would be to lower the ph of the water, perhaps by adding indian almond leaves or its extract. Ammonia will be less toxic in lower ph water.

Oh and I hope during your water changes, you use aged or dechlorinated water instead of water straight from the tap.

Hope your betta gets well soon!
emuted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #24 
Smooglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuted View Post
In my opinion, for a space that small, frequent water changes are necessary.

However if you cant maintain a frequent schedule of water change, a tip would be to lower the ph of the water, perhaps by adding indian almond leaves or its extract. Ammonia will be less toxic in lower ph water.

Oh and I hope during your water changes, you use aged or dechlorinated water instead of water straight from the tap.

Hope your betta gets well soon!
I use tap, but I condition it. I then let it sit out for at least an hour.

Thanks! :3 does petco or petsmart carry the almond leaves? I'm going today so I can get stuff.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:50 PM   #25 
hubbley

If you're looking for a bigger tank but need something on the cheaper side, the pet stores sell critter keepers. Even the gallon would be better, but a 1.5-2.5 might be easy as far as finding a suitable heater. Some people have even used the large plastic jugs as temporary tanks. I'm not sure how much those cost, it probably varies between stores, but I can't imagine the smaller ones cost much. If you were able to get your hands on one of those and find a way to cut a portion of the top off so the opening is wider, that could work until you find something better.

Honestly I can't imagine the temperature of the water being all that low unless your house is actually pretty cold. Is there any room that's even a bit warmer where the betta can be? You could cover the top with seran(ceran? I have no idea how to spell that, the clingy wrap you put over food) and poke some holes to allow air to flow over the water. That will keep heat trapped in, you'll just have to removed it to keep doing the water changes.

I wouldn't do anything with salt. AQ salt is to help things like fin rot, maybe fin biting. Adding it will only expose him to it when he doesn't need it, and you'd have to do 100% water changes every day. I imagine the right dosage would be harder as well in a tank under a gallon. The almond leaf isn't a bad idea, I've heard good things about that. (:
hubbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:13 PM   #26 
Smooglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbley View Post
If you're looking for a bigger tank but need something on the cheaper side, the pet stores sell critter keepers. Even the gallon would be better, but a 1.5-2.5 might be easy as far as finding a suitable heater. Some people have even used the large plastic jugs as temporary tanks. I'm not sure how much those cost, it probably varies between stores, but I can't imagine the smaller ones cost much. If you were able to get your hands on one of those and find a way to cut a portion of the top off so the opening is wider, that could work until you find something better.

Honestly I can't imagine the temperature of the water being all that low unless your house is actually pretty cold. Is there any room that's even a bit warmer where the betta can be? You could cover the top with seran(ceran? I have no idea how to spell that, the clingy wrap you put over food) and poke some holes to allow air to flow over the water. That will keep heat trapped in, you'll just have to removed it to keep doing the water changes.

I wouldn't do anything with salt. AQ salt is to help things like fin rot, maybe fin biting. Adding it will only expose him to it when he doesn't need it, and you'd have to do 100% water changes every day. I imagine the right dosage would be harder as well in a tank under a gallon. The almond leaf isn't a bad idea, I've heard good things about that. (:
I actually found a 1.8 gallon bowl with a filter and light that I was looking at. I'm thinking about seeing if mom will let me move her to the kitchen if there's no room in my room. However, we have a cat. He's normally outside and not allowed on counters, but you never know.

As for the temp... they keep the air on. Not all the time of course. I used to wrap a towel around the bowl to keep it a little warmer. I also have a fan in my room. I only use it when I sleep though and it's faced towards me and not towards the tanks. It's actually hard to believe that it is that cold. I'm a big gamer with a good gaming pc I use all the time along with tons of consoles. It's surprising it's not that hot in here. But I believe my room is the warmest in the house. Of course with her being in the kitchen she'd be by the stove so it might warm up there a bit?
Old 06-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #27 
hubbley

It might be warmer in the kitchen, but you don't really want the temperature fluctuating either, so if you think your room is the warmest in the house I'd keep him there. Also that cat. ;D Like you said, you never know.

The towel might work. I'd still think about covering the top with something so heat can't escape as easily, but around the bowl will help the water stay warmer. If you can find a small heater I'd invest in it. The light may help but bettas usually don't like a lot of direct light, depending on how bright the light is. Darker tends to be better in the long run.
hubbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:52 PM   #28 
Smooglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbley View Post
It might be warmer in the kitchen, but you don't really want the temperature fluctuating either, so if you think your room is the warmest in the house I'd keep him there. Also that cat. ;D Like you said, you never know.

The towel might work. I'd still think about covering the top with something so heat can't escape as easily, but around the bowl will help the water stay warmer. If you can find a small heater I'd invest in it. The light may help but bettas usually don't like a lot of direct light, depending on how bright the light is. Darker tends to be better in the long run.
I tested the water for ammonia and it says the levels are at 0... I also bought a new plant, an umbrella plant and put it in her bowl. When I put her back in she seemed like normal. I'll keep an eye out and see if she changes.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #29 
Smooglez

I spoke too soon. Dx she's back to burying herself under the gems. =/
Old 06-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #30 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I suggest getting a coffee cup or something that can substitute as a cave and popping it in as a test. If she sidles up to sleep against or inside it she may be feeling exposed and yes, chilly.
bettas that are unhappy wish to hide and by sneaking in among the gemstones she is doing her best to get some privacy.

Speaking as a gamer myself I recommend you utilize your pc heat. it is steady, always present and has the side effect that she can hang out with you in your room while you play. Also pop her tank on a towel/mat/some sort of warm material, this will lessen heat diffusion through the surface she is sitting on and keep it steady. Remember that a rounded glass globe like hers has a lot of surface area, so it cools and heats rapidly with the surrounding room. Avoid sources of spiking heat like kitchens because it can lead to temp variations that can bring on stress.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote