Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2014, 09:47 PM   #31 
Smooglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeanna View Post
I suggest getting a coffee cup or something that can substitute as a cave and popping it in as a test. If she sidles up to sleep against or inside it she may be feeling exposed and yes, chilly.
bettas that are unhappy wish to hide and by sneaking in among the gemstones she is doing her best to get some privacy.

Speaking as a gamer myself I recommend you utilize your pc heat. it is steady, always present and has the side effect that she can hang out with you in your room while you play. Also pop her tank on a towel/mat/some sort of warm material, this will lessen heat diffusion through the surface she is sitting on and keep it steady. Remember that a rounded glass globe like hers has a lot of surface area, so it cools and heats rapidly with the surrounding room. Avoid sources of spiking heat like kitchens because it can lead to temp variations that can bring on stress.
I actually did that last night. I got her a little glass jar thing. I guess because it's clear she didn't hide in it? I'll see if I can get a coffee cup, however, all the ones we own have writing on em. That's also why I got her a new plant was so she could hide better.
Smooglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:57 PM   #32 
Taeanna
Reference Team

clear things in the tank arent always recommended because bettas cant comprehend glass, she may try to swim up for air, panic she cant get to the top and hyperventilate.
Any cup that is dishwasher safe is safe for the tank- the ceramic glaze prevents any toxins leeching from the paint into the water.
The plant is a good second option yes, but sometimes a betta needs to slowly understand that the plant is moveable. When i brought my boys home it was clear my eldest had never even seen a plant, he hid from it, refused to touch it. it took him many weeks to simply rest on top leaves and he still to this day wont wriggle in among the fronds. My youngest took to it right away!
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #33 
Smooglez

Quote:
clear things in the tank arent always recommended because bettas cant comprehend glass, she may try to swim up for air, panic she cant get to the top and hyperventilate.
Any cup that is dishwasher safe is safe for the tank- the ceramic glaze prevents any toxins leeching from the paint into the water.
The plant is a good second option yes, but sometimes a betta needs to slowly understand that the plant is moveable. When i brought my boys home it was clear my eldest had never even seen a plant, he hid from it, refused to touch it. it took him many weeks to simply rest on top leaves and he still to this day wont wriggle in among the fronds. My youngest took to it right away!
Oh, she loves her plants. Right away she would lay on the leaves and that's what she does now. But she doesn't really move anymore. =/ However, I think she's getting a little better. Slowly but surely. I put a plastic cup in to see if she'll sleep in it I also put a towel around the bowl to keep it warmer. :3 Hopefully she gets better soon.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:12 PM   #34 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Fingers crossed she gets better! Watch her appetite and her coloring the most for clues. if she stripes up or goes dull we will have to delve a little deeper into her condition.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:22 AM   #35 
Smooglez

Quote:
Fingers crossed she gets better! Watch her appetite and her coloring the most for clues. if she stripes up or goes dull we will have to delve a little deeper into her condition.
Well... she eats just fine. I found a plastic container that was bigger than the bowl. The water was warmer. I acclimated her, of course and set her in. She simply laid at the bottom still so I put her back in the bowl after doing a 50% wc. When I first put her in she acts normal. She never went into the cup I put in and instead hid behind it. It was taking up a lot of room and she would try to lay under it instead so I took it out. =/ Could this just be the way she is? O.o
Old 06-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #36 
Smooglez

Quote:
Could she have popeye?
Old 06-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #37 
hubbley

To me it looks like her are a tad bit larger than they should be in some of the pictures, but it's hard to tell. Do you think you could post one of her from the top so we can see if they stick out? Usually popeye is pretty obvious if you look straight down at your betta.
hubbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #38 
Smooglez

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubbley View Post
To me it looks like her are a tad bit larger than they should be in some of the pictures, but it's hard to tell. Do you think you could post one of her from the top so we can see if they stick out? Usually popeye is pretty obvious if you look straight down at your betta.
The post above yours has a picture. It's hard to see cuz it was taken with my phone. Dx but yes, her left eye(left in the picture) does look a little bigger. The right one looks fine though. Should I get Aq. Salt and do that treatment?
Old 06-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #39 
hubbley

Oops, sorry, I thought that was an advertisement attached to the word. :P They do look a little puffed out and almost clouded in that picture, but it might just be the phone.
I actually do not know the treatment for popeye off the top of my head. :/ I'd have to look into that for you. If AQ is the treatment for it (that sounds familiar now that I think about it) I'd probably try it for a few days, maybe not the whole 10 days. Do you know if just keeping the water warm and clean and not using salt would do anything? I know people suggest this for fin rot, maybe popeye can be cured without the use of AQ salt. Again, I'm not very familiar with this illness.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #40 
hubbley

I take it back. You want Espom salt.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=416242

Take a look at this thread. Try not to think about your bettas eye popping out while you do, it's not a good thought. I hope this helps you treat yours though. (: