Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #1 
MozartOwner

help, I think I purchased the wrong companion!

So I am a new comer, I have had my Betta (Mozart) for almost a year, he's my first fish ever. Until going onto this website I thought they were just a one fish kind, no fish mates. After learning a lot more about Bettas I wanted him to get fish mates. I went to Walmart and got a 10 gallon tank, gravel, lots of plants, another one of his favorite bridge, and some new hiding places. Now I asked they Walmart person for 4 Corys but I think instead I now have 4 hi-fin black tetras. I couldn't even find this exact fish online and I am worried that in a couple weeks from now when I put Mozart in the tank they might harm him.

Now I have been watching these hi-fin black tetras and sometimes they are all cool and in a group, not straying too far and sometimes they huddle in separate corners and when another gets too close it's chased away. And maybe I'm just too used to the way Mozart looks but these tetras have tiny noses, and they are kinda see threw.

I know it's probably my own fault by going to Walmart but it is where I got Mozart he is a great fish. Very active and responsive.

Sorry it's a bit messy, I'm on my touch phone so again sorry.

Last edited by MozartOwner; 04-21-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: grammar and clarifications
MozartOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #2 
Kittles

From what I've seen of Tetra, they look nothing like Corydoras. At all. Do any species of Tetra even have barbels? Would be strange, but I guess anything's possible. Shame on them if they gave you the wrong fish. Really.

Anyway, if you're unsure of the fish you've purchased or fear they may do harm to your betta, you're better off returning them and getting what you originally intended to.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:54 PM   #3 
Mister Sparkle

A quick pic ought to be enough for one of us here to quickly ID those fish and tell you what you have.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #4 
MozartOwner

Old 04-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #5 
Noko

Oh gosh. Those definitely are some sorta tetra. I would take them back if they are causing a problem. I have no experience with that sorta tetra, but normally, tetra's can be very (oh gosh, I don't know the right words to explain them :P). My old betta was in a tank with some neon tetras. He did fine. This was before I joined this site.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #6 
Mister Sparkle

That looks like a black phantom tetra to me. They can be a bit quarrelsome, mild fin-nippers...need a school of about 6 at least. Definitely NOT a cory.

Here's the basic look of a cory...coloration will change, but the shape and features like the barbels will apply to the whole genus: http://rainforestpet.com/images/Cory...gossei-002.jpg
Old 04-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #7 
Mister Sparkle

Check that...could just as easily be a black skirt...
Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 PM   #8 
MozartOwner

Hello, thanks for the help! I went back and got two more so I had the right amount (6 so it would be even) I do agree that they are black skirt, found it on Google. I talked to someone at Walmart who sympathized with me, she said she'd be so angry and take them back, not to mention I paid more because corys cost less than tetras, she thinks they will be okay but we all know better now than to trust a Walmart employee.

No one worry about Mozart, when I finally do introduce him to the tank I'll be watching him for hours to make sure it's okay, and when I leave for long periods of time he gets... a vacation from the tetras and gets his own little tank till I have time to keep an eye out. If they do not mix I'm keeping Mozart and giving away the tetras (of course, I love my Mozart) and someday think maybe about corys.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #9 
MozartOwner

Angry

Sorry, that posted twice, don't I love only having the internet from my phone.....

Last edited by MozartOwner; 04-22-2010 at 08:56 PM.