Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #1 
aquagreen

Exclamation Marimo Ball Question

Hey all...so, a couple of weeks ago when I picked up my new boy (Novi, see my avi haha) I also picked up a marimo ball, but I've been nervous to add it into the tank with him because I've heard that sometimes pet store employees use old fish water rather than clean water in the marimo cups? Maybe that's false, but the water in with the marimo ball did seem a bit dirty. I've been doing water changes with it and keeping it in the sun, but I'm afraid to add it in case it makes him sick. Any tips on what I should/could do?
aquagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:13 PM   #2 
tankman12

I just throw them in. Never had an issue. But you can wash it in some aquarium water just to clean it out.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 08:44 PM   #3 
VivianKJean

If the ball was kept in a cup by itself then just wash it with some conditioned water and kinda shape back into a ball and then add it to the tank.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 02:45 AM   #4 
WhitneyLin

Depends on where you're getting it from. I've watched them refill cups (both betta and moss ball) from the big tank of live plants at a store by me. They also have some fish in the tank. So when I was thinking about adding a marimo I quarantined it. How much do you trust the store you got it from? Otherwise its always better safe than sorry I say.

And I dont know a ton about marimo but doesnt too much direct sunlight kill them? Or "burn" them. I remember someone telling me that when I said I was thinking about getting one so I make sure to keep mine in a safe place. Dont know if you meant direct when you said keeping it in the sun.
WhitneyLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #5 
aquagreen

Thanks for all the answers. :)

How long did you quarantine it for, Whitney? Any special treatment before you added it in?
Oh and not too much sun, really. The ball has been fine, no burns.

I don't know how much I trust *any* pet store, to be completely frank. I've seen poorly kept fish at all of them, and the one I got this ball and my betta Novi from was a newly set up Petsmart, and while everything ELSE looked okay, the bettas were in horrible condition. :( I said something to one of the guys working there.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:45 AM   #6 
VivianKJean

QTing it for 2 weeks is plenty long enough. Thats the recommended time to QT anything (from new fish to plants).
Old 07-27-2014, 03:55 PM   #7 
aquagreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianKJean View Post
QTing it for 2 weeks is plenty long enough. Thats the recommended time to QT anything (from new fish to plants).
Okay. So after that time if it doesn't look funky I'm good? Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:20 PM   #8 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I kept mine in reg tap water , which I was told would kill off any nasties hiding in it , for a week an squeezed it out each day along with changing the water. Second week I keep it in some tank water which I changed out every other day along with giving it a good squeeze . Rolled it around in my hand to shape it and tossed it in my tank.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:31 PM   #9 
VivianKJean

+1 to Perseusmom
Old 07-27-2014, 05:15 PM   #10 
aquagreen

Sounds good. :) I'm gonna keep mine out a little longer and do the tank water thing. It's basically been in plain tap water up til now. Now it's sitting with a little water conditioner in a more shadowy place.

Next week I'll probably get a second ball, for my other betta. I had one already with my betta Pickwick, but I don't know what he died from (I really think a tumor) so I just tossed it out to be safe.