Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2014, 05:49 AM   #1 
The Toy Maker

Possibly sick betta?

Hey guys, I'm getting a little concerned about Bodhi. I did a water change a couple days ago. About 50% and treated the water with Stress Coat+. I do 50% water changes every couple of weeks. I noticed after the water change that Bodhi was at the bottom of the tank just kinda laying there. He'd swim to the top for air, then go back down to the bottom. After a few hours he started to become a bit more active. But not his usual self.

Yesterday and today Bodhi is laying on top of his betta tube because it's close to the surface. All he has to do is lift his head for a breath of air. He's been laying on that most of the time. He does swim around a little, but not a whole lot. Then he goes right back to the top of his tube to lay down. I'm getting worried about him. He's probably about a year old, and he lives in a 10 gallon split tank. My other betta, Knox, is doing fine. He's his normal self and never even reacted to the water change.

The tank temperature is at about 78 degrees. It's held constant there since i put in the heaters during the winter. I have a filter on either side of the tank. Top Fin 5-15 on both sides. I know the water current is a little bit strong from the filters, but it's never bothered him before. Also, he hasn't been eating much these past couple of days. I feed them Better Buffet flake food once a day, and every couple of days I give a few bloodworms.

Can someone tell me if this is normal or there's something I can do to help him recover? I don't want to lose him. He's a beautiful fish and I haven't had him that long. It seems like he recovered a lot more quickly from the last water change that I did. Thanks in advance for any help!
The Toy Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:06 AM   #2 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Are you able to get a picture of him and fill this form out? otherwise we will need to ask you a tonne of questions instead of getting right down to helping.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:20 AM   #3 
The Toy Maker

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 Gallon Split Tank
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes - Top Fin 5-15
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? White Clouds and Cory Catfish

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet flakes and bloodworm treats
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day with bloodworms a couple times a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? About 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress Coat+

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Haven't tested parameters. Don't have a test kit at the moment.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No. He swims with open fins when he does swim around.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yes. He's either laying on the bottom of the tank or laying on his tube. He doesn't swim around very much right now.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No, I don't know what to treat him for.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, he does not.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About a year old, I think.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:30 AM   #4 
The Toy Maker

Bodhi has just started scratching himself on the plants and other decor in my tank. In my experience, that's a sure sign of ick taking hold. I'm headed out to Petsmart right now to see if I can find a broad spectrum medication that covers ick and won't kill my white clouds or cory catfish.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #5 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Keep an eye out for velvet as well, if you need to a good hospital tank measure is to get a critter keeper and float it on top of the tank for him to stay in, this lets you medicate and keep him warm all at once.

Fingers crossed your instincts were right and he perks up right away
Old 06-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu

Another good hospital tank is the hang-on thing like the pet stores put fish in before they bag them. You can put plastic wrap over the top.

I think they're called breeder boxes. They might even sell you one.

Hope Bodhi is soon on the mend.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #7 
The Toy Maker

Update on Bodhi

Just wanted to post an update on how Bodhi is doing. Today we're on our third day of Ick treatment. Bodhi is finally swimming around with his fins wide open. He's also started chasing his reflection in the glass a bit. That's something he's been doing almost constantly since I got him. But I think we're definitely on the mend. No more scratching on ornaments or anything, either.

I'm gonna finish off the last two days of treatment and not put my carbon back in until the 7th day. I'll do a water change on the 7th day, as well. Just 25%, though. That's what the box says to do. I'm glad I caught it early, because he's doing good again now. He still hangs out some on top of his tube, but I think that's just because he can just lift his head for air. But mostly he's swimming around and happy again.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:04 PM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu

RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #9 
The Toy Maker

One more update on Bodhi

Yesterday was the last day of Ick treatment. Today the water is just filtering and I'll do a 25% water change tomorrow + adding my carbon media back into the filters. I lost one cory catfish to the treatment, and I think I may lose another one, but Bodhi is now swimming around with his fins wide open and doing all his normal Bodhi things. He's eating really well, and chasing his reflection in the glass like he normally does when the light is on. I'm replacing the catfish on Tuesday after the tank has had a couple days to filter with the carbon in. But at least I didn't lose Bodhi. So all is good.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #10 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I'm sorry to hear about the catfish and also happy to hear about bodhi's recovery! He is a lucky boy to be so loved.