Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2010, 12:24 AM   #1 
BettaBob

Changin it up

Hey i am thinking about taking my divided 5 gallon tank and taking one of the bettas and putting it in a new either 3 gallon or another 5 gallon. I want to get a different kind of fish and i was wondering what I could possibly put in with a betta in a 5 gallon. Thanks!
BettaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:05 AM   #2 
xxabc

I'm not experienced with tank mates, but you'll probably be very limited. Usually, "smaller fish" end up being schooling fish (you need to keep at least ___ of them). There are some fish that aren't schooling, but i don't know what those are. Bottom-fish seem to fit nicely with bettas...I mean "bottom-fish" like corydoras, etc - fish who tend to hang out at the bottom.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:11 AM   #3 
Firefly

I had a 10 gallon a while ago before i got my new tank, and had a betta, and some platys, and neons. Im not sure about neons in the 5 gallon tho, my betta ate one of my neons eyes, and the neons can be nippy and bite the bettas fins if they dont have enough room. But like xxabc said, bottom dwellers affect the betta the least, like catfish, and u could also get an african dwarf frog.
Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:17 AM   #4 
xxabc

Have you ever considered snails and/or shrimp? Although I would prefer fish anyways. Just a thought. Snails and shrimps do still have their pros and cons.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:36 AM   #5 
Nameaz

I had some guppies, balloon mollies and a bristlenose (bigger tank), and my betta was fine. My friends though would attack any type of fish that went into the tank, but i would go with a cory or a shrimp, cherry shrimp are awesome little critters
Nameaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #6 
BettaBob

Yes i do have a few ghost shrimp and a snail in my divided tank. Honestly the snail is pretty boring and the ghost shrimp are kinda tough to look at. I have never seen cherry shrimp or any colored shrimp around where I live. Maybe i will get a ten gallon because i really wanted to try a different sort of fish. But for the african dwarf frog mentioned, what do those involve taking care of? I have seen them at the pet store but never looked into them.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #7 
BettaBob

maybe i will try and make a sorority
Old 04-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #8 
streetlightdawn

Putting anything in a 5 gallon with a betta would be tough unless it's a shrimp or snail because you don't want the tank to be overcrowded. An african dwarf frog would be ok, here's a link to some info on them: http://aquaticfrogs.tripod.com/id13.html. You don't want to do corydora catfish though because they are shoaling fish and you should really keep them in groups of 4-6 or else they become stressed.
A ten gallon would offer many more choices... A sorority would be awesome!
streetlightdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:48 PM   #9 
BettaBob

yeah i think i will get a ten gallon. what are some things you people have in a ten gallon?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #10 
andreig09

nice

andreig09 is offline   Reply With Quote