Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #1 
rachel1811

Is a Leopard Cory a good choice?

Now u must b used to me already still researching. Bit concerned with the amount of algae otos need n dont want to starve them so looking for alternatives.

Like the look of leopard corys....... I think they are good but just checking plz

B4 i totally disregard otos......can u transfer them to a platy tank n back again to the betta tank to feed them algae or is that 2 stressful?

Thanks again

Rx
rachel1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

Any of the corys often called "leopard cory" would be fine. Make sure not to let the temps get too high. The upper part of their "comfort zone" in temperature is about the lower part of a betta's. I don't remember how big your aquarium is, but they do best in at least 10 gallons, and you want to have 3 of them or more.

As to the constant moving of otos...it's possible, but they are a bit sensitive to that. Your temps and water conditions would have to be basically identical between the two aquariums, and even still it might be very stressful for them. I'd probably advise against it.

I also think you should know that, no matter how much algae you think an oto is getting, it is very important to supplement their diet with algae or spirulina wafers or other green matter. It takes a lot of algae to meet dietary requirements, and they aren't likely to get that from a small aquarium (or even two small aquariums). Additionally, feeding them algae wafers during the day can get them to come out more often so you can enjoy them more.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #3 
Kittles

I think Corydoras are wonderful and am a total advocate for them towards anyone considering a tankmate for their betta. Honestly, I think they would only do well for your tank should you choose them over the Otos. As Mister Sparkle said, though, they do best in tanks of 10 gallons or more and if remember your tank is 30L, right? That's just shy of 8 gallons so I'm not sure if Corydoras would be a proper addition - maybe you could get away with the bare minimum: three?

There are other options, however, should you need alternatives. Tetra, Danio, Guppies, and other fish I have no experience with; I just know they can be housed in an aquarium of your size. I think...
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:54 PM   #4 
rachel1811

I was starting to think that myself but have now decided to keep the Betta by himself next to the platy tank so he can see the fish. Good idea bad idea??

Still in the throw the ideas around stage :)

Could I put the overspill from the platys in with him?

Thanks

Rx
rachel1811 is offline   Reply With Quote