Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #1 
Obi1Goosie2043

popeye...my betta lost his eye:(

I did a water change on my Betta yesterday and his eye popped out! I tried to give him some medication, maracyn 2, back when he still had both eyes, but it didn`t work. Now he lost his eye and I just put some new medication in his tank and did a water change...I put Betta Revive and AQ in his tank and I plan to clean his tank out 3 times a week at least to keep it as clean as possible to prevent any infections.
I`m really worried about him. Plus he hasn`t eaten in days and I can`t tell if he had eaten any of the food I have given him today...

PS what are the best medications for popeye. I don`t want him to loose another eye! His other eye doesn`t look like it`s infected. it looks normal. I will show you a picture once I have my ipod charges.

Last edited by Obi1Goosie2043; 06-23-2014 at 10:28 PM.
Obi1Goosie2043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:29 PM   #2 
KFoster

I think Epsom salt is what is used for popeye treatment.
Do you have some at home? It needs to be the kind from the grocery store that doesn't smell like flowers or anything.
KFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #3 
VivianKJean

I agree that AQ is the wrong salt to use here. Epsom Salt is what you should be using. You can find it grocery stores, target, possibly walmart, and hardware stores.

Make sure it is unscented.

You should add about 1-1.5 teaspoons per gallon. To do this, removed a few cups of water, dissolve the salt in that, and then every 15 mins or so add a bit of the water with the espom salt in it back in to the tank until you've added all the water back in.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #4 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Are you able to take a picture and fill this form out? Otherwise we cant give you the right treatment for your boy right away without having to ask a bunch of questions
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

I agree epsom salt is your first place to turn, grocery stores and pharmacies stock it. Add 1 teaspoon per gallon (this is twice the usual dose, we need to really see some improvement in that eye right away)
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #5 
Obi1Goosie2043

ļI cleaned out his tank again and added some of the Epsom salt in. Hopefully it will help him. I am worried about him not eating...but maybe this new kind of salt will help. His eyes always looked kind of stuck out ever since I bought him. So maybe he had this from day one...
Old 06-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #6 
Obi1Goosie2043

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.17gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? blood worms, brine shrimp and pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? multi-purpose water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
NA
Ammonia:NA
Nitrite:NA
Nitrate:NA
pH:NA
Hardness:NA
Alkalinity: NA

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?He is missing an eye.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, wont eat...darts around tank when startled.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? maracyn 2, and Betta revive
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? a few months. Can`t remember exactly when...
Old 06-24-2014, 12:04 AM   #7 
Obi1Goosie2043

Here is a picture of him. It`s the best one I could get.
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2014, 12:08 AM   #8 
Taeanna
Reference Team

It certainly looks like he has what I was guessing, a bacterial growth in his head that is causing the eyes to jut forward.
IN this case I recommend moving on to an antibacterial treatment to alleviate the infection and bring down the swelling which will hopefully bring his eye back to normal and restore his vision.
I personally use tetracycline but I understand the US has other types available such as Kanaplex, use this in conjunction with the epsom salts to encourage him not to retain fluids during treatment and he should be a happy healthy boy very soon.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote