Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2010, 01:51 AM   #1 
dolfan88

Exclamation New Betta and Tank, Need help!!!

So I bought a new Betta fish 2 days ago. At first I had bought a bowl thinking it would be fine for him but then after doing some research I upgraded to a 2 1/2 gallon tank. I put some silk plants in their with him and I must say he looks very happy. I just have some questions

1. I transferred the fish after about an hour. The guy at the pet store had said thats what I should do but after reading up Im wondering if that was a bad thing to do.

2. The filter to the tank is very small, and the water only falls about an inch from it. Im just wondering if I should put the water a lil higher to where the falling water isnt dropping at all, maybe over the filter a bit. Would that be ok?

3. Should I get a bottom dweller, like a small cat fish for the tank? I feel like the fish is better off by himself but I dont know if that is the wrong opinion. Thanks in advance!!
dolfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:54 AM   #2 
s3kshun62

The only think I can think is that the tank probably isnt cycled. You should be ok though. Just keep checking the water parameters.

How high is the water now? Like 1/2 way up or 1/3 way up?

The only problem with getting a small catfish like a cory is that they like to live with others. So you couldnt just get 1 if you wanted it to be happy.
s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #3 
basicloser

1) Technically you should wait a while before putting a fish in a tank, like have the tank set up and cycling before ever introducing the fish to it. Betta are a little different than other fish though as they are not AS sensitive to water conditions because they do breath air at the top of the tank (they will die without being able to do so). There are people who put a betta in the tank while it is cycling to help it, good or bad - people decision.

2) I'm not sure what you mean and am not sure what type of filter it is but if there is an area of the 'tank' that isn't being moved by the filter then it should be fine. I think some people are overly sensative about the water movement and Bettas. As I said in previous posts, I had a 44 gallon tank and my betta used to just swim under the water falling on it for periods of time 'playing' in it. If you want to raise the water level that's fine just make sure the water is able to get out of the filter and that there is still air at the top of the tank (between the lid and the water) for the betta to breathe.

3) No, a 2 1/2 gallon tank is far too small in my opinion for a bottom dweller or any other fish with a betta. Not trying to sound harsh but IMO it is too small for even just a betta but they will survive in it and all and will be happier than in a bowl for sure so :)

I also wanted to add THANK YOU for actually reading up on Bettas and making a change in the set up and getting away from the bowl. I admit when I first had one it was in a bowl like thing then I did research after which is always a mistake. I don't know why pet stores sell betta bowls or goldfish bowls when clearly they are good for neither one. Enjoy your Betta Dolfan, you'll see they have quiet a personality in no time.
basicloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #4 
tahbi

1. If the water you used was unconditioned tap water then yeah, it was probably a bad idea. If you conditioned the tap water or if it's spring water you should be fine I think. :)

2. You could do that, or make your own current-blocker. That's what I did. Or if the current doesn't look that strong (if your betta can swim around normally it's not that strong) it should be okay. Even though it always gave me a mini heart attack my betta loved to swim into the current blocker I made and swim out. He loved it. :P Less active bettas might not like a current though.

3. s3kshun62 and basicloser pretty much answered this for you. :P
tahbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #5 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicloser View Post
1) Technically you should wait a while before putting a fish in a tank, like have the tank set up and cycling before ever introducing the fish to it. Betta are a little different than other fish though as they are not AS sensitive to water conditions because they do breath air at the top of the tank (they will die without being able to do so). There are people who put a betta in the tank while it is cycling to help it, good or bad - people decision.

2) I'm not sure what you mean and am not sure what type of filter it is but if there is an area of the 'tank' that isn't being moved by the filter then it should be fine. I think some people are overly sensative about the water movement and Bettas. As I said in previous posts, I had a 44 gallon tank and my betta used to just swim under the water falling on it for periods of time 'playing' in it. If you want to raise the water level that's fine just make sure the water is able to get out of the filter and that there is still air at the top of the tank (between the lid and the water) for the betta to breathe.

3) No, a 2 1/2 gallon tank is far too small in my opinion for a bottom dweller or any other fish with a betta. Not trying to sound harsh but IMO it is too small for even just a betta but they will survive in it and all and will be happier than in a bowl for sure so :)

I also wanted to add THANK YOU for actually reading up on Bettas and making a change in the set up and getting away from the bowl. I admit when I first had one it was in a bowl like thing then I did research after which is always a mistake. I don't know why pet stores sell betta bowls or goldfish bowls when clearly they are good for neither one. Enjoy your Betta Dolfan, you'll see they have quiet a personality in no time.

I find it interesting that you believe the experts have underestimated betta's needs for space by over 500%, and yet you think that their recommendations regarding water movement are "overly sensitive."

I'm going to go ahead and challenge your credentials here.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:20 PM   #6 
dolfan88

Thanks everone. I ended up getting a 6 gallon tank and transferring him to that.
dolfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #7 
basicloser

Mister Sparkle:

I wasn't saying scientifically speaking it cannot be done. You can keep a human being in a bathroom for their entire life as long as you provide them the basics needed - food, water and enough air. It doesn't mean that it is an optimal condition for a human. I would not put a fish in anything less than a 10 gallon tank. Maybe I should have been clearer in stating that.

As far as the water movement, I will try and clarify that as well- bettas can live fine with a water flow. When I said some people were overly sensitive I was thinking of another forum where people would flat out refuse to put a filter in that would cause any flow stating it would be the death. I don't mean to say throw them in a complete bumble tank where the water is never still. Some people over sensitive about it it, people do it for anything and everything, diets, works out, fish, money.

If you are looking for 'credentials' I don't have any professional ones. That must make me wrong oops sorry. May I ask yours?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #8 
s3kshun62

Cant wait to see what it looks like. Hope everything is working well for you. Remember that are always products out there you can purchase that will help cycle. Good luck!
s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:00 PM   #9 
basicloser

Yes, please keep us updated with the tank, and pics if possible :)
Old 04-23-2010, 12:45 PM   #10 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicloser View Post
May I ask yours?

26 years of successful fishkeeping, tons of research, and letting actual experts determine what is or isn't acceptable. Regardless, my credentials would be unimportant when I tell you what the people who HAVE THEM have said. In that case, all I need to do is know how to read a book and check someone else's credentials.

Your credentials matter because you are saying that all of those experts are wrong...even going so far as to accuse them of cruelty (at the most) and arrogating the care you provide to being superior to their own (at the least). As with most analogies given by people forwarding your idea of spacial needs for bettas, yours is completely non-sequitor. If you are going to challenge the expertise of people who have dedicated their lives to fishkeeping, you'd need to prove you are qualified to do so. As you said yourself, you aren't.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote