Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2010, 10:19 PM   #11 
DarthMaul
Banned

trust drama queens advice
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:55 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

I personally would not divide a 2.5. The recommended minimum for bettas is 2.5. Dividing it would not only be cramped but also a pain on you. Your water changes would basically double. Not to mention that even though your tank is 2.5 gallons technically your water column or swimming space is less than that, gravel, heater, plants, and decorations all take up some of that space.

It is also my opinion that dividing tanks that small will be stressful on the fish. If you used any divider where the fish could see each other they would feel like they could not get away from the other fish. It is possible that if a tank was divided with a male and a female or a female and a female it wouldn't be as much as a problem but when it comes down to it dividing a 2.5 is probably not a good idea.

If you are on a budget consider getting a storage bin. I used to think these looked bad but honestly they can be very cute little homes. You can usually set up a good sized one for pretty cheap. Other options are hitting your local yardsales, craigslist, freecycle, thrift stores, and flea markets. You can usually find great prices on awesome tanks if you look hard enough :)

Last edited by iamntbatman; 04-23-2010 at 01:10 AM.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #13 
Betta Slave

Yes, my friend tried dividng a 2.5 gallon.. didn't work out very well! It was hard to clean, And her bettas hated it. 5 gallons aren't that expensive, you can buy them pretty cheap.

Last edited by iamntbatman; 04-23-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:07 PM   #14 
TeenyTinyTofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I personally would not divide a 2.5. The recommended minimum for bettas is 2.5. Dividing it would not only be cramped but also a pain on you. Your water changes would basically double. Not to mention that even though your tank is 2.5 gallons technically your water column or swimming space is less than that, gravel, heater, plants, and decorations all take up some of that space.

It is also my opinion that dividing tanks that small will be stressful on the fish. If you used any divider where the fish could see each other they would feel like they could not get away from the other fish. It is possible that if a tank was divided with a male and a female or a female and a female it wouldn't be as much as a problem but when it comes down to it dividing a 2.5 is probably not a good idea.

If you are on a budget consider getting a storage bin. I used to think these looked bad but honestly they can be very cute little homes. You can usually set up a good sized one for pretty cheap. Other options are hitting your local yardsales, craigslist, freecycle, thrift stores, and flea markets. You can usually find great prices on awesome tanks if you look hard enough :)
This is a great post, I definitely agree!

Also wanted to mention that you can get a 5 gallon tank kit at walmart for $30. It comes with the glass tank, hood, light, filter and filter cartridge. All you need is a heater. You could then divide the 5 gallon, so they each get 2.5 gallons, if you wanted to go the cycled tank route.

Or, doing a seperate 2.5 gallon, as it was already mentioned.

Last edited by iamntbatman; 04-23-2010 at 01:11 AM.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #15 
Betta Slave

Yeah. I've kept bettas in 2.5 and 5 gallons, and I've seen no difference to their happiness- they seem to like the both the same. In fact, I've had my little plakat in a 2.5 gallon (he will be moving up to a 5 as he gets older) blow one of the biggest, thicket bubblenests I've ever seen. A benefit to a 2.5 is that they're cheaper- 17.99, if you have a petsmart near you.
But do whatever you want- it's your choice, of course ;)
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #16 
xxabc

This will be pretty much a re-cap, but just thought I'd add on anyways.

I prefer no less than 5 gallons for my own bettas, but obviously that's a bit on the larger side (and perhaps pricier) for some people. (I currently have a divided 5 gallon, but don't call me hypocritical, since it won't stay this way for too much longer!) This is completely my own opinion .However, by DIVIDING, in the physical sense you should get a horizontal. Dividing a vertical, and doing the water changes ... will a siphon even fit in there? I'd imagine the trouble far outweighs the money-saving.

It's true, 1 gallons are possible for bettas. The main key is doing the water changes. However, I prefer meeting a betta's "physical needs" (although there is no scientific evidence to support their physical needs, I'm just way overly sympathetic. Hehehe!). This is why I prefer advising no less than 2.5 gallons. Bettas should be given room to swim gorgeously around. If for some reason the tank size is not possible, then at least meet the requirements of their health.

And let's think of the bioload dividing a 2.5gallon. 2 betta fish in a 2.5 gallon? Now, they're not big poopers. However, one betta in a 2.5 should be enough. You would be doing twice the amount of water changes (or around) to keep down the ammonia, since now there are TWO sources of poop, and not only one.

So yes, I would advice a new tank. IMO the "minimum", or rather better tank, to divide would be at minimum a 5 gallon. And a longer one at that. The 6.6 Petco Bookshelf seems to be abnormally LONG so that would fit many needs, however, it IS pricey... If you are indeed looking for dividing, the 5 gallon Walmart ($30) is the way to go.

OP, you should try looking at some pictures of divided 5 gallons. There's a COMPLETELY different feel between a divided 5, and two 2.5 gallons. I'm not saying one is better than the other - I'm saying the "feel" is different. Plus there's money, but that's always going to be a pointer. Good luck choosing, and sorry if anything brought you down!

Last edited by iamntbatman; 04-23-2010 at 01:11 AM.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:08 PM   #17 
serenityroyal

I didn't think so either. Darn. Oh well. Just have to wait till I get some more funds to get another 2.5 gallon tank
serenityroyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:46 PM   #18 
xxabc

Good luck with that :)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote