Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

How long does it take you to do water changes?

Just curious

Right now I have 9 tanks up (yes 9 individual tanks). Of those 4 are hospital/temporary tanks (3 of my 4 rescues and one as a hospital). The others are my normal tanks.

Normally I spread water changes out over a week. For instance I'll do my divided 10 gallon and my 4 gallon on Sunday. Monday I'll do my 2.5,3, and 6 gallon tanks. Then thursday night I'll do the 2.5, 3, and 6 again (I do 2x weekly on those tanks). Since my four gallon is planted I only do one weekly change on it. It takes me about an hour to 90mins to do water changes.. sometimes more if I take breaks inbetween.

Now that I have extra tanks I'm doing water changes every other day (100% for the 4 small tanks). To do the small tanks it takes me about 30 mins since all I do is dump out the old water and throw in the new. Once a week I rinse all the tanks and plants.

This week I was really bad. I didn't do any water changes so I'm having to do all of them in one night. To do all 9 tanks is probably gonna take me about 3 hours. Since I take my fish out to do water changes I have to wait for cups to become available so it takes a while.

So whats your water change schedule like? Do you spread them out or do them all at one time?

I'm curious about people like me with LOTS of fish (its hard to believe I have 12 now ). How do you handle multiple tanks and water changes?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I have 8 separate tanks and I do them separate days. I do 4 Mondays, 4 Tuesdays and do another 100% water change Thursdays and Fridays. I have 2.5G's so I do two 100% water changes a week. Sometimes I can only do them once a week if I'm really busy, but I've been keeping up with it. :) I've had 14 individual tanks before and that was crazy.lol Doing 4 tanks usually takes me an hour and a half because I have to remove the fish and the plants and decorations.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #3 
vaygirl

I don't know how you guys with all those tanks do it. Probably the real reason I don't have smaller tanks is all that maintenence. I have a whole house to clean, laundry to do, breakfast, lunch and dinner to make, dog to walk, cats to groom. I worked from 10 this morning til 3:30 on housework. That included an hour to vacuum four fish tanks, change their water, and fight with the freakin' diatoms on my plants.

Jackie, I salute you! And DQ too. And Bettaxfishxcrazy! And everyone else who keeps that many fish!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

Haha.. we'll since I'm at college I don't have a dog or cats with me. I don't have a job yet so I have plenty of time on my hands!

Usually if I can spread it out its not that bad.. its just days like today where I was bad and got behind that it takes forever!
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #5 
Rain Drop

I always do 100% changes, so about 20 minutes for each tank (I have three).
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #6 
akjadestar

I just have one 3 gallon tank and I do half changes weekly and it can take me up to one and a half hours... the hardest part of water changes is trying to get Venus out of the tank, which normally takes about an hour...
akjadestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #7 
Kittles

Submerge a cup into the tank and drop a piece of food above it. Once your betta goes in for the kill, you do the same and scoop it out harmlessly.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #8 
TeenyTinyTofu

Before yesterday, I just had Tofu, who's in a 5 gallon cycled and filtered tank. So I did partial (50%) water changes on him once a week.

Now I have Taco and Tuna, who are very sick, so they'll get 100% water changes every 2 days. But in less than a week, they'll be going into a filtered, divided 10 gallon.

I don't think I could handle doing a ton of water changes every couple days for a very long time. I tend to procrastinate too much, LOL. Not to mention I have a hectic lifestyle.

Last edited by TeenyTinyTofu; 04-22-2010 at 09:10 PM.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #9 
s3kshun62

I have 2 tanks...my 2.5 doesnt take more than 5 minutes to clean. My fluval....well...since it has a small opening..it takes longer...when all is said and done...45 minutes...including time it takes for water to reach room temp
s3kshun62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #10 
doggyhog

Takes me about 2-3 hours to do all six of my tanks.

Crank up the radio and have fun is what I do!!! LOL
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote