Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

It's not easy, especially if you're getting ready to go on vacation and EVERYONE"S water needs changed.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #12 
doggyhog

yeah, I don't know if anyone is brave enough to take care of my fish... LOL

Most of mine have weird problems! Like Oliver who is partially blind... that kinda scares people off from feeding him.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #13 
1fish2fish

Ugh.. Well I got distracted and didn't get the big tanks done. Luckily I have no classes tomorrow so after I go get shipping supplies for the girlies I can devote a few hours to tank cleaning.

A week from Saturday my betta numbers will be increased by at least two if not 4.. my water changes are going to be hectic for a little while LOL
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:44 AM   #14 
xxabc

Oh. I have one tank. One divided 5 gallon tank. It will eventually become TWO tanks, though (can't wait, hehehe...)

Well believe it or not, it takes me THIRTY MINUTES. For just one tank, haha. But for two reasons
1) I take my sweet little time, jamming out to the radio blasting at I-will-be-deaf-in-3-years volume.
2) It's upstairs, and my kitchen so happens to be downstairs. I can only afford to take a 1/2 gallon pitcher safely up and down, and I usually take out 50% each water change. So 2 1/2 gallons...up and down the stairs I go. But: EXERCISE. YEAH! Haha :)

If circumstances were different, it would take about ... 10 minutes, maximum. I would love to busy myself one day with water changes. But I'm going to regret it, aren't I? Hehe.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:31 AM   #15 
Tinthalas Tigris

28 and 10 gallon.

The 10 gallon can take as long as half an hour.

SO can the 28, but because I pour in the water at a faster rate, I can manage a water change with it in 15 minutes.

If i'm taking my time, I get both done in an hour.

But I ussually base all my water changes around small projects to do with the tanks. such as remodel, fertilization, checking plants, inventorying shrimps, checking chemicals, etc.

Because of that, I will occasionally devote two to three hours at a time to my fishies during a water change. It is relaxing for me, so I enjoy it more than resent it. It also sort of kicks me into maintenance mode, and I start doing other things that are necessary around the house, such as cleaning the kitchen, and dishes, and feeding the bunnies, and what ever else I've been procrastinating on.

I find refilling tanks can be done in a very relaxing fashion by taking 2.5 gallon Purified drinking water cartons, Cutting off a portion of the top. Filling it with water, applying the water conditioner, letting it sit a minute, and then let it enter the aquarium at a very slow trickle from the dispenser tab partially open.

This is a really cool trick that just spans the water change at a slow rate, lets the animals adjust to any temperature change and gives them sort of an entertaining drizzle to swim through while it goes on. The trickle is sort of a relaxing background sound as well.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:26 AM   #16 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana View Post
I just have one 3 gallon tank and I do half changes weekly and it can take me up to one and a half hours... the hardest part of water changes is trying to get Venus out of the tank, which normally takes about an hour...

Why do you have to take Venus out of the tank if you're only changing 50% of the water? I don't take any of my boys out of the 2.5 gallon tanks when I do maintenance.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #17 
1fish2fish

I only do 50% changes on my bigger tanks but I take my fish out as well. I find its less stressful on my fish to be in their cups instead of getting bashed around by the gravel vac and the heavy flow of pouring water in. It also allows me to fix little things like plants or decorations without the fish feeling like they're being chased. I
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #18 
Tinthalas Tigris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
I only do 50% changes on my bigger tanks but I take my fish out as well. I find its less stressful on my fish to be in their cups instead of getting bashed around by the gravel vac and the heavy flow of pouring water in. It also allows me to fix little things like plants or decorations without the fish feeling like they're being chased. I
I recommend water dispensers to store your water, and to trickle it back into the tank. Those 2.5 gallon Sparklett's drinking water bottles (or your local grocer's variation) have a snazzy pull tab that lets you vary the rate of water trickle.

Put it on top of a bucket, and just let it flow slowly back into your aquarium. It also gives a fun little game to your betta to swim in the bubbles.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #19 
a123andpoof

I have a 3 gallon and it takes like ten minutes to do a 25% water change. I have to go upstairs to get the water, and I use his little cup to take the water out and carry it to the laundry room. I need a better system haha and it took about an hour to do a 100% water change. I needed to adjust plants and clean the rocks from bits of food I couldn't get out with a net.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #20 
Noko

My water changes take less than five minutes for each tank. Now, if I suck up a fish, it will take an hour for me to get over it. Them silly girls are too curious.

My fry tank takes the longest to clean becuase I do a 100% water change on it. I have to collect all 18 fry and put them into betta cups (Platy fry and still small enough to fit into three cups). After all is said and done, it take about 30 minutes for the fry tank.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote