Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #21 
vaygirl

For the flow back in, I pour into the Lee's three way breeder and it flows into the tank through the slats on the side. That breaks up the flow completely. Of course Tango sits right under it. He's got NO fear though. The others get out of the way.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:04 PM   #22 
Mister Sparkle

5-10 minutes, tops. But it USED to take a lot longer.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #23 
ecoprincess

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
28 and 10 gallon.

I find refilling tanks can be done in a very relaxing fashion by taking 2.5 gallon Purified drinking water cartons, Cutting off a portion of the top. Filling it with water, applying the water conditioner, letting it sit a minute, and then let it enter the aquarium at a very slow trickle from the dispenser tab partially open.

This is a really cool trick that just spans the water change at a slow rate, lets the animals adjust to any temperature change and gives them sort of an entertaining drizzle to swim through while it goes on. The trickle is sort of a relaxing background sound as well.

Would love to see a pic of this!
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:04 AM   #24 
Tinthalas Tigris

Ask, and you shall receive!

2.5 gallon water container. 1 ml per gallon of conditioner = 2.5 ml! (I do close to 3 just to be safe).

I chop back part of the top of the container and fill it in the sink after adding the water conditioner.

I ussually wait a full day after filling the containers, just to make sure ALL the chlorine and chloramine have been conditioned out.

Then I let it slowly trickle back into the aquarium. This always attracts the bettas over to it, and they explore.

in this case, (last picture) he decided to smile. (Silly.. he grabbed a pellet from the water line and decided to show off).
Attached Images

Last edited by Tinthalas Tigris; 04-28-2010 at 01:16 AM.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:16 AM   #25 
Tinthalas Tigris

Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #26 
ecoprincess

AWESOME!!! :) :)

Great idea you had! Thanks for the pics! :)
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:38 PM   #27 
Mister Sparkle

Probably the most use you'll see the majority of dictionaries get, these days! lol
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #28 
Starbright

Wow! ^^^ That IS useful!! I'll def keep that in mind :D

As for me, my 10 gallon and 2.5 gallon water changes take no time at all! In fact, the most time consuming part is waiting for all the water to come out. I have bathrooms literally a RIGHT next to my tanks... 3-5 steps away (each with bathtubs). I just take a bucket and siphon out the water! 5-10 minutes each.

Sometimes after I'm done cleaning, I feel kinda like I want to keep cleaning tanks but I can't since I only have 2 at the moment... so I just change the water every other day to keep me occupied.

I was wondering: for 100% water changes, can I take out my betta and then just siphon out 100% of the water? Or do I have to clean the gravel too >.<
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #29 
xxabc

I've never done 100% before, but I would imagine siphoning through the gravel completely to get all the ____ out. That would be considered "cleaning the gravel" wouldn't it? Not like it would add an extra second, hahaha.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:08 AM   #30 
Starbright

Haha that's true. But I mean like taking the gravel out and rinsing it. My 2.5 gallon tank isn't cycled so I've been doing 25%, 50%, and 75% water changes... but I was wondering if I could just siphon out 100% O: The thought never occurred to me before!

100% water changes with my 2.5 gallon takes like an hour >.< My mom gets so mad if I have to spend more than 5-10 minutes maintaining a tank... she thinks I'll be "studying" in my extra time.. HAHA.
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote