Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2010, 09:09 PM   #1 
Tinman23

Exclamation Ahhh!!!

So I dont know when, and I dont know how, but my bettas 10g tank craked, and now my betta is sitting in a 1g container and the two ottos in another...both sharing the same heater through the day. I am a student and therefore cannot afford a replacement for a few weeks, any cheap temporary suggestions...or is the current solution I am using good enough?
Tinman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #2 
Kittles

A large, plastic storage container? Here's a thread on it: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=37452
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #3 
DarthMaul
Banned

1 gal will work for a few weeks, just make sure you do 100% water changes A LOT... but, do not let people tell you 1gals are EVIL... if a bettas can live for 3 yrs in a 1 gal with no issues, he can def. live in a 1gal for a few weeks =D btw, i am a college graduate and up to my ears in student loans, so i know how it feels to not be able to afford a HUGE tank like most are going to tell you to get asap. IMO/IME, your betta will be just FINE =] just make sure he has clean water =]
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #4 
andreig09

im agree with kittles, put them in the most large plastic container that you have...

andreig09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #5 
doggyhog

I personally think a storage bin would be the way to go, for the otos sake. A bigger stable tank is best for them. You can also stick your filter in there.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #6 
DarthMaul
Banned

the 2 ottos need a bigger place, however that ONE betta will be FINE for a few weeks in the 1gal, seriously people, put your emotions aside and realize that betta will be OKAY... better than having to disinfect a random plastic container when a 1gal habitat is availale
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #7 
doggyhog

I didn't say that the 1g isn't fine for a betta. I temp. keep mine in them sometimes.

I said for the OTOS.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #8 
xxabc

Doggyhog didn't mention anything about the betta. I also agree the betta will be fine for a few weeks in a one gallon container, as long as you do those water changes.

The otos, however, should get a larger container. Is it true they are not very hardy fish? And I'm not sure about a heater either. If otos need a heater, try buying a cheap heater for the two containers (betta/otos), and put the filter with the otos.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:12 AM   #9 
Mister Sparkle

Otos are hardy, but not suitable for small containers. they generate a lot of waste relative to their size, and their oxygen requirements are much different than a betta's.
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote