Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #1 
Jayy

Exclamation I need filter help

so far i've been looking at fiters on pet supply sites and i've got it down to the tetra whisper 10i and the tetra whisper pf10. They're both great filters and they have good reviews but both have down sides. The 10i got a handful of reviews that said it is noisey but i can deal with that it also got a review that said it caught a betta but, i can get tall plants and put it on tyedye's side since hes a pk and most likely won't get caught. the pf10 got a review that said its too strong for bettas and not to get it for one. so what do you guy/girls think?

Last edited by Jayy; 04-23-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #2 
Mister Sparkle

Save some $$$$$...get one of these: http://www.jehmco.com/html/hydro-sponge_filters.html
Mister Sparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #3 
Jayy

thanks but no thanks i want a reg filter not a sponge filter
Old 04-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #4 
TeenyTinyTofu

The Whiper 10i is definitely NOT noisy at all. In fact, it's whisper quiet! I own a 10i, 20i, and I use a 40i on my turtle tank. The filters are really great, powerful little filters, but have a good, smooth outflow if you put the water line right where the outflow is. I've never have a 10i catch a betta before, the suction is not that powerful. I've used them with betta's, and other small fish, and never had a problem. I highly recommend that line of Whisper filters.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #5 
Mister Sparkle

OK...we won't even get into what it is you think is a "real filter". Here's the thing...you are posting a question as to whether these filters are ideal for a betta. You know they aren't, but you are insistent on getting one. So, what kind of answer are you looking for?

Bettas are hardy fish...do whatever you want. They'll survive.

Is that what you're after?
Old 04-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #6 
Tinthalas Tigris

I use a whisper 10i clone on my 10 gallon. It is a perfectly fine filter.

If you don't like the water turbulence, there are many different dampers that are easy to construct that slightly obstructs the water flow back into your tank with the simple aid of a disposable plastic water bottle. I use them in both of my tanks, just because I don't like turbulent water.

I am very satisfied with the Whisper 10i.

MisterSparkle: I believe he meant Power Filter, by "Regular" filter, as it is the most common in his line of thinking. He was very specific about his locking case between two specific filters, so he was very direct in redirecting your suggestion to his interest between two specific products.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #7 
TeenyTinyTofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinthalas Tigris View Post
If you don't like the water turbulence, there are many different dampers that are easy to construct that slightly obstructs the water flow back into your tank with the simple aid of a disposable plastic water bottle. I use them in both of my tanks, just because I don't like turbulent water.
^^ This. And it works GREAT using a small piece of a water bottle. I did it when my turtle was really tiny, so it wouldn't knock him around, and it made the outflow very, very smooth.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:57 PM   #8 
Jayy

thanks you guys, mister sparkle i did mean power filter like Tinthalas Tigris said
Old 04-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #9 
Mister Sparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayy View Post
thanks you guys, mister sparkle i did mean power filter like Tinthalas Tigris said
OK, then. Good luck with everything.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:47 PM   #10 
Hankbetta

I have the 10i as well, I'd just recommend getting some sort of netting to cover the intake part of the filter. Petsmart and Petco have them, I think they call them either filter bags or media bags, I was able to get one at petco and just rubber banded it around the intake filter and haven't had any problems.
Hankbetta is offline   Reply With Quote