Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-25-2014, 10:01 PM   #1 
Oishii03

My 5 gallon planted tank

I have finally earned enough cash to setup my tank!

I ordered a 5 gallon minibow from Amazon and it was horribly scratched up. It's not that big of a deal though, so I'm just going to accept it like it is.

After rinsing the gravel extensively and applying driftwood, I set up mesh along the bottom, which I will tie java moss to and make a carpet. My tank will start out with Pennywort, Anubias Coffeefolia, and java moss. There will be CO2 (DIY all the way!) And 10-15 watts of CFL lighting, something between 6000K and 7500K. I might add on more plants later, but first I'm going to cycle it.

My testing kit arrives tomorrow, and the plants could arrive anytime from tomorrow to Friday. I don't actually HAVE a Betta yet, but I'm probably going to have to order one because there are no healthy Bettas at the pet stores around here. At all . But I can afford it, so It's okay .

So, to conclude, I am in the planning/waiting process!

P.S. Try to bear with me regarding the horrible photo quality
Attached Images

Oishii03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #2 
Kaffrin

Hopefully everything arrives healthy and well! I'm a total sucker for diaries that show progression of planted tanks x3

I really like the way you've designed the java moss to grow, it caresses the driftwood- pretty~ Plus, that's a sweet piece of driftwood.
Kaffrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #3 
blueridge

Can't wait to see how this turns out! Keep us updated with lots of photos!
blueridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:21 PM   #4 
brian c
Banned

wow its gonna look awesome and where did you get that rockin peice of driftwood and remember keep your head up
brian c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:40 AM   #5 
Oishii03

Thanks everyone for checking this out, I'll update often!

Brian: My LFS had driftwood, so I snatched up a piece.

I have a quick question-My gravel is very small, as you can see, and some of the smaller pieces may be able to fit in a Betta's mouth. I was watching Youtube videos and saw a lot of Bettas nipping at the gravel. Is there any risk that one might swallow a piece of gravel?
Old 06-26-2014, 01:49 AM   #6 
brian c
Banned

where is your lfs and what is its name please respond back
Old 06-26-2014, 01:50 AM   #7 
brian c
Banned

and no the chances are pretty low
Old 06-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #8 
Oishii03

It's in Virginia, Petworld.

My testing kit arrived today, and I learned that there is ammonia in my tap water. I'm going to have to use R/O water, this means I've read that it's not ideal, but it works.

I'm just going to use my tap water to cycle the tank, then switch out to R/O. Hopefully that'll work out...
Old 06-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #9 
Oishii03

The plants arrived yesterday! There were a few dead leaves and brown spots, but the plants are mostly healthy. A few pieces of duckweed hitched a ride and I'm heavily encouraging it's growth.

So, as you check the photo, you will notice some VERY murky water. Why is this? Because I didn't boil the driftwood (Genuis). I'm fine with a small amount of tannins, but because the PH had dropped .4 overnight it had to be stopped. So, this morning, I boiled it. Hopefully it wont be releasing too many tannins after that.

I'm not going to put in a filter for a few days, which means stagnant water. I'm just going to get a sponge filter for the tank, since I've read about this filter being really strong and breaking easily.

In other news, I have built my CO2 canister! I'm going to make a bubble counter today and try to figure out how to make a DIY diffuser. I'll probably start using CO2 tomorrow (as I need to buy some yeast first) Unless I need water flow for that, in which case I'll wait for my filter.

Ammonia: 2-3 PPM, it's hard to tell
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0
PH: 7
Attached Images

Old 06-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #10 
DaytonBetta

You asked about bettas eating gravel in a previous post. I don't think you need to worry about that. Many people use gravel and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Your set up looks great, I look forward to seeing your progress!
DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote