Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #1 
tanker

How many are too many?

I got a second betta tank, and I'm already thinking where I could put yet another. How do you know if you're going overboard?
tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:32 AM   #2 
newfishmom

As of yesterday DH thinks I have gone overboard!! Now have three in the living room! DD has one in her bedroom. I am happy right now but I have been looking at the end of my dresser and think I could put a 2 - 2.5 gallon there. I had better give it some time before I bring that up though!
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #3 
1fish2fish

I'm not a good example because almost every horizontal space in my room is covered with tanks LOL.

BUT.. you just have to know your limits. How many tanks can you reasonably care for without stress and how many fish can you reasonably care for? Remember that bettas are very personable and not only do you have to have the time to devote to caring for their physical needs but also their emotional needs. If you don't have time to provide enrichment to all your fish, then you probably need to keep fewer fish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #4 
TeenyTinyTofu

I think Jackie said it pretty good. I only had Tofu until Wednesday night. I was happy with just my one betta fish, I spoiled him and he was easy maintenance because it was just him. Then I ended up with two unexpected rescues (and now I definitely have no plans for anymore betta's!), so that's going to be two more fish to do water changes on, two more to medicate if they get sick, two more to maintain, ect.

I think going overboard is if you have a room full of betta's, and you spend literally hours doing water changes, and/or doing them pretty much every day of the week because you have so many.

HOWEVER, on that note, if they're well taken care of and you're happy, go for it! :)

For me personally, I live in a gulf state, so I worry about hurricane evacuations, and having too many fish. I have a ton of rescue dogs, but they're easy to board at a vet clinic or throw a leah on them and walk out the door. With betta's, it's a bit harder to prepare them for evacuation, finding a small carrying tank, making sure water doesn't spill, ect. And yes, I've evacuated with my betta's in the past. If we go, the dogs go, the turtle goes, and the betta goes too! :D
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Evacuating fish would be pretty difficult.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #6 
TeenyTinyTofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Evacuating fish would be pretty difficult.
Not really... not unless you have a whole ton. But I only keep 1-2 betta's at a time (my current 3 is the most I've had at one time). I use a critter keeper, pour them in it, pop on a lid and cover it with a small blanket to prevent splashing, and a battery powered air pump, and go.

I never leave any of my pets behind during an evacuation, that includes my betta's.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:45 PM   #7 
doggyhog

Ohhhh my....

I can't get enough. See, I don't really have much of a life (actually like it that way) and so I have a LOT of time to take care of my fish.

I think if your ever starting to feel stressed about taking care of them, don't get more. That means you've reached your limit.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #8 
goldyboy

13 was my limit. I've been finding the water changes hard to juggle with everything else (work, motherhood, chores, errands, lack of time off) but then I saw Pippin and I thought...Okay, well, he'll add 2-6 minutes to my changing routine totaling just over an hour every 3 days...it's not a big difference. And I don't think Rune will be around much longer.

Still less work than a puppy but I'm putting a halt to the betta browsing now. I'm going to move soon and, well, I'm not looking forward to that. :S
goldyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #9 
TeenyTinyTofu

Wasn't there a member here with like 40-50 betta's? I remember she had an AMAZING set-up. Does she still post here?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Chicklet and ChristinaRoss had 50 some bettas.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote