Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #1 
brancasterr

Surprise guest in my tank

I was admiring my soon to be stocked 10g when I noticed I have a little friend crawling around in there. A snail! Haha, I'm sure he was brought into my tank when I put the live plants in as I was setting it up but I was surprised to see him because the tank has been running for nearly two weeks now and I haven't seen him until now. He's a tiny little fellow and I'm amazed he has survived in there as I have been putting ammonia in every day as I cycle it and now the nitrite levels are astronomical (which means I'm almost done right? :D). Are snails able to survive such extremes?

Also, I know they can multiply very quickly and I can have a snail problem on my hands. Should I let him be? I've grown fond of him because I presumed the tank was empty and I was excited to see something actually living in it! I've named him Gary. :P

Anyways, what should I do? I'm hoping he's the only one but I can't be sure. What will happen if there is more than one? Will it compromise the safety of my tank for other inhabitance?
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:23 PM   #2 
Sella

Hahaha awesome!

Two days ago I found TWO snails in my two tanks that I had added plants to over a month ago. I couldn't figure where they've been hiding since I gaze at my aquarium for significant periods of time every day.

Apparently if it's a pond snail, they're hermaphroditic so they can and will multiply on their own, and are considered pests. She told me to get rid of it, but like you, I've grown fond of him and I'll probably let him be.. Until, if and when others show up.

Congrats on your new little buddy.
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:31 PM   #3 
doggyhog

He'll be fine. :) I have little pond snails in my planted tank too. I've transfered some over to my other tanks and one of my girls like to eat them. LOL

Mine have never bred, sooooo... I wouldn't know how to control them.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #4 
allen

Smile Some facts about Snails

Hi, I just wanted to share something about snails. I hope it will be helpful for you guys. First thing is, snails are good for aquarium or fish tank in one way. They help in maintaining your tank clean. They do not allow algae to grow on. So it is ok to have one or two snails. Second thing is, since they are bottom dwellers, they clean up the food pieces left by your betta fish.

The main problem with these snails is that they produce waste in large quantity. So you may require to do water change more frequently than usual. My suggestion is that if you are not ready to do water change frequently, then remove snails from your tanks.
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #5 
newfishmom

Gary! Sounds like to me if he has a name he has a home!
newfishmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:50 PM   #6 
vaygirl

Just siphon vac weekly for the snail poo. I have a big ole pond snail in my big tank and he takes care of the constant diatom problem I have. He's about the size of a dime now. Your betta can and may eat them. The big one is the only one that survived Tango's hunting forays. Now I have a tank bottom full of empty shells.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 04:41 PM   #7 
brancasterr

How big do the pond snails get? He's reaaaaly tiny!
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #8 
vaygirl

That's probably as big as he'll get. I hope. :p
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote