Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #11 
Kittles

Definitely appreciated, although look what I've done.

In all seriousness, and in relation to Sparkle's post, I understand completely that it's a progressive system. Or something. Something progressive. Like Flo. And most things. Have to ditch the training wheels sometime.

Last edited by Kittles; 04-24-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:21 PM   #12 
xxabc

Well that was embarassing. LOL.

But really, it made me feel better "thinking" a 12 year old didn't know Gaga. So now, look what you've done. Ahahaha ;)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:14 PM   #13 
brancasterr

Haha, more of what I did kittles, I suppose if I didn't lead people to think something as appalling as a 12 year old not knowing who Lady Gaga was then everyone would have had a laughed at your post and continued on.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #14 
Sella

"The new dog owner is aghast when a white highland terrier is pulled out from a vermin's hole by its tail (it's designed for it!)."

I don't understand this statement. The new dog owner is not supposed to be aghast when a dog is pulled from a hole by it's tail which is a continuation of it's spinal cord, and could possibly end up with nerve damage?
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:06 PM   #15 
TheJadeBetta

The West Highland Terrier was bred for it. Like how a Dachshund was bred to hunt and face badgers. When humans were developing this bred, that is what was mostly worked on. The tail is short and thick, and is shaped to were it won't have any problems.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:38 PM   #16 
TeenyTinyTofu

The only problem I see, is the difference between telling someone a betta CAN live in 0.5 gallons of water, and saying it SHOULD live in 0.5 gallons of water.

Just because they can in the wild, does not mean that we shouldn't strive to give them a better habitat while they are in captivity. I see nothing wrong with guiding people towards a larger enclosure, such as 2.5 - 5 gallons, as opposed to telling them that a 1/2 gallon is perfectly suitable.

There are no cons to a large enclosure, however there are many to a small 1/2 gallon enclosure, if someone isn't very keen on cleanliness of the enclosure. And most general joe schmoe betta keepers that buy them for their kids, are not all that keen on daily water changes. Something a 1/2 gallon enclosure would require.

So getting all upset when someone says a betta needs bigger than a 1/2 gallon enclosure is confusing to me. Yes, they can survive in it with proper care, but nothing wrong with going bigger, so that the betta can have more room to be comfortable.

While some betta's do live in the wild in area's not much bigger than a 1/2 to 1 gallon of water, it's also natural and out in the wild, with clean rain and fresh air. Not an enclosed plastic container with stagnant water.

And when the rainy season comes, that 1/2 gallon swells to many gallons, not including all the betta's whose natural habitats are large rice paddy's and small streams.

Nothing wrong with educating people that while they can survive in a 1/2 gallon of water, going bigger can only be an enhancement on the life of the fish.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:15 AM   #17 
TigerLily

Not to keep beating a dead topic...but on the discussion of space for bettas, I am definitely one of those people who find the half gallon containers to be sub-par.

Sure, if I shove her litter box in there and add food and water bowls, my cat could live in my bathroom, or even closet. She would have oxygen and water and food and toys and clothes to sleep on and a light to see by. She would have (limited) room to climb and play. She wouldn't be in pain or exposed to extreme discomfort...but hey, wouldn't she be happier running around the whole house?

As a pet owner, survival alone is not enough for me. When a human takes responsibility for an animal, it becomes our job to provide that animal with the best conditions we can. Best. Not the minimal conditions to survive in. Not just a home free of pain, filth or hunger.
Best.

If you can keep your pet in a half gallon container, care for it well and in the end have a healthy, thriving fish: That's wonderful. It really is. Many animals do not even get that much out of life. But really, why not give a little more?
There's absolutely no reason not to.

Last edited by TigerLily; 04-25-2010 at 12:19 AM.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #18 
xxabc

I stand with TigerLily. But there really is no harm in telling a 1/2 will work. It's really for the sake of ACTUAL experience and knowledge. It's best to understand all standpoints before making your own.

Usually, with new fishkeepers, they aren't entirely attracted to the idea of doing *daily* water changes in a 1/2 gal, and aren't attracted to spending money, either. I feel uncomfortable at the thought of a new fishkeeper and a 1/2 gallon (let's face it, I did this too). While some are very capable and even possibly aware of the water changes, the majority are not.

TeenyTiny - the main con of a larger aquarium is money. Some people WILL cheat the money and just go for the smaller enclosure, because well, "I just saved myself 10 bucks." Not everyone will be so interested in fish hobby at first, that they will spend $$$. Usually, they'll quit after a few dead fish...hopefully.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #19 
breannakristine

1/2 gallons are fine. That's what I use when I first get a fish as "hospital bowls" if you want to call them that. Sometimes the 1/2g is what the fish will live in for weeks or months until I can save money to get a 2.5g or more.

There is nothing wrong with it as long as you don't over plant it. I normally just have 1 small silk plant which gives the fish more room to swim. -shrug-
breannakristine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:05 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

I keep mine in smaller containers but I say get the biggest tank that you can afford and have space for. I dont have that much space for several 10 gallon divided tanks. Not to mention money for all that stuff.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote