Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #11 
Tinthalas Tigris

it is 100% possible to clone your existing cycle.

I recommend 1) Putting your fish in a plastic bag, and filling it with air. As long as you open and close it from time to time, and keep it somewhere safe, your fishy will be fine.

keep everything WET. bring your aquarium down to about half an inch over the substrate, and leave your filter in there. The water will slosh around alot and that will keep it aerated.

As soona s you get to your destination, immediately put everything back together, and add water slowly back to your aquarium. Just an inch each day.

Then you'll be good.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #12 
TianTian

There's just one problem with that suggestion: I don't have any gravel or sand. No substrate. And no filters. Just his heater and tank decor. Should I keep the tank decor wet, instead?
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #13 
xxabc

I would say yes.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #14 
Neelie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Neelie, the main thing with using products is : It doesn't work for everyone, and/or It's not as entirely natural as "making" it yourself in your own tank. There's a little bit of pride that comes from it as well, after completing it. Or at least, that's where I stand. I prefer cycling my own tanks. It might be easier for me though, because I can seed my tanks and it will cycle like *that. I'm just sayin'.
oh i totally understand! i really didnt mean to offend anyone! and im really sorry if i did, just for me personally it works and im so impatient that id never be able to look at an empty tank for weeks lol im just awful with taking short cuts and the easiest, fastest way. once there is a faster easier way i just abandon any other ways LOL. im really sorry guys! thats just me.... im a freak! with a big mouth lol

just, i guess in this particular case the chemicals would work easier and better than natural cycling.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #15 
TianTian

So should I shrink-wrap everything in his tank while it's still wet? Just curious.... I'm trying to find the most efficient way to pack everything.

Oh, the trip is going to be 3 days on the road.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #16 
Neelie

^^^ i would get a few fish bags from the pet shop, fill them a lil with water from your tank and put the deco in there. easiest, safe, clean and will keep everything wet and safe

your fish should be ok in such a bag too. stand him in a vase with his bag to avoid puncturing or tipping over the bag. just make sure its a bit larger than what the petshop would use... they come in different sizes. also, you should regularly open the bag to allow oxygen in (when your feeding it'll happen anyways)
Old 04-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #17 
TianTian

Okay, I'll do that. My LFS is open tomorrow and I'll need to run a few errands in the morning, anyway. :)

Thanks for your help, everyone! I'll let y'all know how it goes! Please pray I don't screw up and that Cinder arrives safely! :D
Old 04-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #18 
Neelie

cool cool best of luck! dont rush anything and keep an overview. im positive it'll go perfect! post back when you have any news for us!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #19 
Tinthalas Tigris

In that case, BAG everything. THe filter media, the plants, in large one gallon ziploc bags. GO ahead and bag your fishy as well. 1 gallon ziploc. Leaveabout a 1/4 of air, and put the plants/filter in the bottom of a bucket that won't get anything else put in it.

Put your fishy in the bucket on top, readily accessable to you, and open frequently; i'd say at least once every couple of hours.

try and open the plant/filter media bag at least twice a day, and add a sprinkle of fish food to it once a day.

3 days is a little extreme, but everything should clone okay.

You don't necessarily need to bag the aquarium plants, etc, but it'll be easier on the cycle, in my opinion, if you do. Either one would work fine, it just seems that three days on the road will be easier and with fewer spills if you can isolate it all to a bucket.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #20 
TianTian

3 days IS a long trip. If I could fly, I would, trust me! :D

I've got a bucket lying around here I think... I'll check.
And Cinder will be riding with me in the cab. :) So he'll be watched fairly closely.