Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2010, 02:46 AM   #1 
lyndie

Unhappy RIP Moonshine - what went wrong? (long!)

Hello all,

My little Moonshine just passed away this morning & I'm hoping to understand why...

I've had her for about 2.5 years & don't know how old she was when purchased from Petco. The past 7 months she's been in a baby biorb: 4 gal, carbon filter, ceramic media with fake plants. She's been kept between 76-78 *F all her life & ate Top Fin betta bits, freeze-dried krill/bloodworms, never any live food. I used Mardel 5in1 test strips & my results were usually: pH 7.5, alkalinity 120, hardness 150, nitrite 0, nitrate 0. Sometimes the pH or hardness would test a bit higher.

So, here's how it progressed over the past week and a half: we noticed she wasn't as responsive as usual (not greeting us, following our finger, flaring for food, etc) to being lethargic & getting pale. This has happened once before so I didn't think much of it, just thought it was a "senior moment". I put some Betta Fix drops in her biorb & waited for signs she was bouncing back. 3 days ago (4 now, I guess) she stopped eating and it seemed like she was struggling to the surface to breathe. (swim bladder disorder?) Once she finally broke the surface for air she would sink like a rock back to the bottom, with her tail curved. The curve got more pronounced with time until, today, she was practically in a U shape at the bottom. (tuberculosis?)

I put her in a cup with very shallow water, literally 2", so she wouldn't have to struggle so much for air, and put that on a heating pad so she didn't get cold (76* temp was carefully monitored with a therm.). I used a bamboo skewer to hold food right by her mouth which she nipped at a few times but didn't eat & eventually backed away from. @ 1:09am this morning I noticed her eyes looked unfocused (usually she looks right at you) & her gills weren't moving at all so I tried to support her with the tip of her mouth breaking the surface & she seemed to take a breath or two (mouth opened) but still her gills didn't move. At 1:17 she started twitching... and 2 minutes later she was gone.

It was pretty painful to watch & I know my husband is heart broken. She had incredible personality & was the apple of his eye... So I wonder if anyone has any idea what happened here? Was it preventable? Should I have done something differently?

& what's an accepted way to "lay her to rest"? I can't even entertain the notion of flushing. Burying seems strange... unless she's in a sealed container of water. I just don't know. A big thanks to you if you've made it through my long post!

First pic is recent, when she first started acting lethargic. 2nd pic is from xmas 2008! Our little moonie will be dearly missed. <3
Attached Images

lyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:20 AM   #2 
tanker

I can't say what happened, but I'm sorry for your loss
tanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:51 AM   #3 
Bettabubble3

Im sorry. But it sounded like a disease.
Bettabubble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about her fish.Maybe it was something internal.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

IMO/E it sounds like age related issues because you gave her great care and provide a wonderful habitat......
Most Bettas are roughly 4-7 months old at box pet shops and you had her for 2.5 years making her roughly 3-3.5 years old, the average life span for most bettas are 2-3 years, rarely to 5 years..... so in my opinion you did a great job.....
Sorry for your loss....IMO you did nothing wrong or could have done anything to change the out come...it was just her time and a very lucky fish to find such a wonderful home and live such a long life....again sorry for your loss......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #6 
lyndie

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I never knew we could be so emotionally attached to a little fish. She had us wrapped around her pretty, pink fins!

Oldfishlady - thank you for your insight. I kept reading that bettas can live up to 6 years so I felt like I had done wrong by Moonshine & shortened her life somehow. I know & feel a bit better now. thanks again <3
lyndie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Theyre very easy to get attached to.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote