Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #1 
Sella

I got a new fish! oh and I need some information! =0

So I went to the local pet store today because last weekend I saw a dragon I wanted, spent this last week setting up a home for it, and crossed my fingers as I drove the hour to the store in hopes it's still there.

it was =)

so I ask the lady, (who in the past I've had issues with because I feel like she has no idea what she's talking about, but I can't complain too hard because sometimes neither do I, but she did sell my friend a ten gallon tank, and a heater AND 7 goldfish to put in said heated tank, and all her goldfish died five days later) how much the fish cost.

"Well it's a metallic veiltail and they go for a higher price point than the rest of the fish, let me check" and she goes up front as I try and figure out why this would cost more than the rest. She comes back with a price of 35.99. I asked why.
She said it was because he was metallic. So I pointed out a metallic blue female and asked if she was 35 bucks too. She said, "not she's just blue. She's 5.99".

So I said thanks, and started to leave. Kind of p***ed off.

As I was leaving her boss came into the fish section and I heard her ask about the fish I was inquiring about and I stopped and boss lady said that my fish wasn't 35.99 it was 5.99 so I turned around and said I'd take him.

In short here is my fish.

They called him a metallic veiltail. I think he's a dragon delta. Am I right?

Also, when I was paying for him the lady showed me her 35.99 fish. It was a metallic cambodian. I thought Cambodian is just a color pattern? but she explained it was a different type of betta. If someone could expand on this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks = )
Attached Images

Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #2 
xxabc

He's gorgeous, but $35.99 for a dragon? It's not even called a "metallic" betta, and I'm horrible with colors. I'd never buy $35.99 from a petstore - Only breeders! Let's see him flare before calling him in a delta. He does seem to look like it, though.

Dragons don't cost that much more, do they? I know they run off pricier with breeders, but even for me the price is quite manageable.

7 GOLDFISH...in a 10 gallon... makes me want to cry. Goodness, they need to hire better (no offense, if any).

Now, what kind of information do you need? There's so much. It would make it indefinitely easier on all of us if you asked us certain questions and/or comments about anything. It would also help us if you mentioned what kind of money you are able to spend - a small limit, or simply a cap-off? Or do you have access to spend money as much as you'd like?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:08 PM   #3 
Betta Slave

35.99 is too much!! I got my dragon for 18 dollars!
7 goldfish in a ten gallon? What the heck was that person thinking when she sold your friend that???

But he's very pretty ;)
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

He's beautiful! Yes, he's a dragon delta. That woman is an idiot, I'm sorry.lol You were right, Cambodian is a color, not a type of betta. And 7 goldfish in a 10G? Wow...that woman REALLY has no idea what she's talking about! *rolls eyes*
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #5 
doggyhog

NICE boy!!!!!!!!

Yep! A dragon and a delta.

LOL I kinda had to laugh at the employee though... why the heck did they hire that person!?!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #6 
xxabc

Yeah, "types" of betta runs under "what kind of tail" they have. Colors are completely different. Cambodian colors are cute though, haha.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #7 
soleilvie

Just out of curiosity, what size tank should 7 goldfish be in? I do know that they produce a lot of waste, but aren't they tiny?! I see hundreds of them in 10-20 gallon tanks at my pet shop. Or am I thinking of something else?
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Probably a 30G or 40G but I don't know much about Goldfish.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #9 
Betta Slave

I have one goldfish (about 7-8 inches) in a twently gallon, and he is just a walking (err... swimming) mess. I'd say fourty to sixty gallons.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #10 
JKfish

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what size tank should 7 goldfish be in? I do know that they produce a lot of waste, but aren't they tiny?! I see hundreds of them in 10-20 gallon tanks at my pet shop. Or am I thinking of something else?
One fully grown goldfish (anywhere from 7 inches to possibly 12 inches) requires at least 20 gallons, which is the bare minimum. Twenty gallons per fish would make it 140 gallons for 7 fish.

You can keep small goldfish (less than around 3 inches) in smaller tanks, like they do in pet stores, becuase they are still very, very small compared to how big they'll grow. But, then again, goldfish sell rather quickly in petstores, so they don't really have to worry about having huge fish in small tanks.

Last edited by JKfish; 04-25-2010 at 07:12 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote