Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2010, 01:54 AM   #1 
Waterbury

What can I do for my betta?

Hi there! So I'm one of those great college students who has a fish to care for.

I've had my solid red veil betta Ponyo sense August.

I've read the general Care and FAQ but figured I'd post my story and see what I can do over the next three weeks

He's been living in a vase of sorts it's talland somewhat wide( I have no idea the gallon size), rocks at the bottom and live bamboo in the middle that sprouted up through a protective cover so he wouldn't jump out.

I believe I read somewhere that bamboo was bad for betta but he had been doing alright. About two weeks ago I had one of the bamboo stems turn yellow. I panicked and completely removed the bamboo from the water. Its been two weeks now, I've done the usual water changes and my betta hasn't been swimming around as much/chilling down by the rocks/I'm just generally concerned about his health.

I'll be taking him home for the summer in three weeks and will be leaving him in the care of my family sense I can't take him with me to my internship.

Do you the people of the Betta forum have suggestions on what I can do to make my betta happy? I'm afraid of putting him in a new environment and it killing him. That's what happened to my other betta last summer... Would I be better off just introducing a new fake plant, or other element to his home?

**I'll take a picture of the 'vase' in the morning when the picture will do it some justice.

Last edited by Waterbury; 04-26-2010 at 02:10 AM.
Waterbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #2 
1fish2fish

He needs some sort of thing to hide in. Either a cave or a fake plant.. even a coffee cup works.

He's probably cold. Bettas need to be in at least 76*F water.. thats probably the main reason why he is sluggish.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #3 
Waterbury

Okay. I figured that was what he needed. I will be on the hunt for something that will keep him happy.

This may sound silly but is there a way to 'heat' the vase without getting a heater? I don't have easy access to a pet store to get a heater before I go home and want to keep him as happy as possible.

**Here is the vase I'm dealing with

Last edited by Waterbury; 04-26-2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Added a picture of tank
Old 04-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #4 

Hey, the vase your betta in seems a little small. They should have at least 2.5 gallons of water to live in, i would suggest buying a new tank for him with a heater if possible :) good luck!
82028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:41 PM   #5 
Waterbury

2.5 gallons... Okay I will take that into my mind for when I get home.

Yea I'm hoping to get him a new tank, I'm just worried he might freak out to a major adjustment. But I will work with it, and get something nice for him when I get back home.

Thank you so much for all the help guys!
Old 04-26-2010, 01:55 PM   #6 

he might get freaked out at first but he will be so much happier once he adjusts! :) I had my betta in a tiny bowl when i first got him, i came on here and realized i wasnt doing things right so i went out and got him a ten gallon with heater/filter and it was amazing to see the difference in him!
82028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

He won't freak out. Your best bet is to get a 2 gallon (+) for him.. if your short on cash you can try a clear storage bin temporarily and a heater. You can get a hydor mini for about $12 ... not the best but at least its something until you can save up for bigger.

There's not really any way to heat a vase that small that won't result in temperature swings.. which are bad for the fish
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:18 PM   #8 
Waterbury

Okay. So he may just have to tough it out for a while longer until I can get him a proper tank and heater.

Thanks so much everyone, and I'll go through the steps everyone has suggested in other threads to prepare a new tank.

Then before long my fish will be happy.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:08 PM   #9 
doggyhog

Welcome to the forum!!

I agree with the others and recommend a bigger tank. :) Just make sure you get a few plants so he feels secure in his new home. (You can get a 3 pack at Walmart for about 6 bucks) Storage bins work great!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #10 
xxabc

The least of your worries should be the change. If anything, if you do it correctly, he will be fine given time.

I agree with said info above.

Can you trust your family to take care of him when you leave? I wouldn't want a neglected fish to burden your family. If they aren't the fish type, it's best to find another home.

What is that on top of his tank? He needs access to the top of the tank, unless it's just at a weird angle. For now, while he is in this vase, do daily water changes, and keep the temperature the same with each water changes. Not too cold, not too warm. Once you get another tank (the heater should be your very main priority) we'll start over from there.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote