Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #11 
Welsh

I respect all your views and opinions and I will be putting my fighter (Aden) into a tank on his own as I have seen him chasing the tetras and cories around the tank today and I dont want no blood spilt if it can be helped lol

Thanks for all your help guys =)
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:02 AM   #12 
BettaxFishxCrazy

You're welcome. I hope you didn't think I was being rude...I just didn't want you to end up with an upset betta and/or dead fish. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #13 
Welsh

Oh, of course not. Like I said I appreciate everyones advice, I am new to this so still learning the do's and dont's. I'm just pretty annoyed that the store assistants sold me the fish knowing I had only cycled the tank for a week and also knowing I was overcrowding, she also told me that I could add more fish in a few weeks when the new fish had settled into their tank its just a shame we have people like this "helping" us with our purchases and living creatures.

As for overcrowding, my younger cousin had an aquarium the same time as me so when hers is done cycling I'm going to give 3 cory cats to her which will then leave me with 3.

Maybe this is a stupid question giving what you said about overcrowding but I'll ask it anyway lol.

When I setup another tank for my fighter I will then have 6 tetras and 3 corys in the 12 gallon. Would I be able to add more fish? The tank looks pretty empty with all that I have in there at the moment, so when I get rid of some corys and my betta its going to look even more empty.

Thanks =)
Old 04-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #14 
BettaxFishxCrazy

1fish2fish found a website that helps you figure out if your tank is too crowded or not. It'll factor everything in and give you a percentage of how full it is. I'll look for the thread right now...Sometimes bettas will chase or attack tetras, so make sure to keep an eye out on them.

Here's the link: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=36856

Last edited by BettaxFishxCrazy; 04-26-2010 at 12:06 PM.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #15 
Welsh

Thank you =) everyone is so nice and helpful on this forum usually you get the horrid judemental people who undermine newbies like myself but everyone is so cool here lol.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

We're happy to help. Thats what we're here for! :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #17 
Tinthalas Tigris

Your tank is a little overstocked. A 14 gallon (what you have) is brimming with fullness at its current amount you have in there.

Its best to slowly add fish. Most add Bettas to a tank last (not always though).

Since you've already got them all in there, you should be *okay*. I would recommend a couple more plants, personally. and at least 25% daily water changes for the next month, just to keep everyone happy.

They probably will suffer a bit from ammonia poisoning, though.
Tinthalas Tigris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #18 
Welsh

Yes I do know this now, I wasnt properly informed by the assistant at the store, however I can't fully put the blame on her as I did a fair bit of research before hand but as a customer you do think that assistants know best and I can assure you I will not be making this mistake again.

I have done my first water change today and the fish seem to more active than they were yesterday which I hope can only be a good thing.

As for the plants, I will be adding more to the tank and maybe giving 3 cories to my cousin but I keep hearing different things, some say that cories can only be in a school of 6, others say 3.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #19 
xxabc

Yup ... take what the employees say with a grain of salt. It's not often you run into one that actually tends to be correct.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:31 PM   #20 
secuono

You are over stocked, you need to get a liquid test kit and watch the water daily. You added far too much of a bio load all at once, which will ruin any cycle you had.
Start doing 10% water changes daily until you notice the readings are level at 0 again. Then, slowly start doing less changes, every other day, to every 3rd day until it is once a week.
secuono is offline   Reply With Quote